Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The horrible effects of global warming....

Quote Originally Posted by UKResident
    If that was the case, how did the Earth come to be covered in lush forests before we started polluting?

Public Eyes

According to the article, microbes were producing more Co2 than the trees were consuming. This was felt due to a drought which was stressing the trees ability to utilize photosynthesis.

You are questioning my theory because a local drought caused trees to stress? Local variations in climate are common, but they fail to reflect the big picture.

6H2O + 6CO2 ----------> C6H12O6+ 6O2
    In this case, it is water, not CO2 that is the rate limiting factor in this equation.

Some of my stocks lost money last year, others made money, overall my portfolio shows a net increase.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

2. The Drawing Room   -   #22
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Pollution of the environment is not good.

As Mogadishu said, it is surprising that more Consevatives are not concerned (as they own most of the environment ) Try chucking an empty beer can into a suburban garden and you will soon generate an interest in pollution.

I fear we are all NIMBYs by nature - it is human nature. Real concern over climate change (whether man made or natural) will concentrate minds when the back gardens are compromised.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

3. The Drawing Room   -   #23
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by UKResident
    j2k4, l was referring to this remark ..

l was also replying to your well documented aversion to all things 'Liberal' ie. caring about things one sees as important.

And please don't shout, l may be on the other side of the Atlantic but l hear you perfectly, believe me.
    I apologize again for "shouting"; in order for me to interject point-by-point, I was reduced to caps, as other options are not currently working, for whatever reason.

I am at a loss as to why my remark about Saddam should have caused any discomfort; I cannot discern any significant or lingering ill-effect (other than monetary) owing to his pique.

As to this "well-documented aversion" you refer to:

Biggles as well seems to believe, as I am conservative, I am thereby precluded from holding or expressing any concerns with environmental matters.

I would urge you both to recall what the very word conservative means, and explain to me why it should not apply?

Do you libs claim a monopoly on environmental sentiment or something?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. The Drawing Room   -   #24
    BTW-

If the next Ice Age begins next year, how are you going to blame it on Conservatives or American big business, having invested all of your political capitol and credibility in the global warming scenario?

Would it not be preferrable to keep your options open; i.e., honestly expressing your true belief that, no matter what ills befall the big blue marble, it is the fault of Conservative big-business America, or any variation thereof?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. The Drawing Room   -   #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr JP Fugley
    i like to live in a modern world with modern things and modern packaging. i also think polution = bad
    Irony of ironies....

SO DO I!!!!

-Mark Twain

6. The Drawing Room   -   #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr JP Fugley
    'tis a curse .... a curse i tells ya.
    An' I been tole, then, huh?

-Mark Twain

7. The Drawing Room   -   #27
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god

So polution isn't the cause?

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #28
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc

So polution isn't the cause?
    ...of something that arguably doesn't even exist?

That would be difficult to say.

-Mark Twain

9. The Drawing Room   -   #29
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Btw. shouldn't you be j2k5 now? or am i off the mark of the origins of the name?

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #30
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    J2

Infamy! Infamy!

I did not mean what you thought I meant, I think.

I was merely amused by the small irony of consevatives not conserving due to alternative priorites (i.e. profit)

Of course this cannot be translated across the board as conservatives are a broad church and the Highland Laird who lives in his castle with his land his life is going to have a different political outlook on conservation from someone dealing in oil shares on Wall Street - although they might both drive 4x4s.

I really should not post and try and make dinner at the same time.
    Last edited by Biggles; 01-23-2005 at 08:48 PM.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast