Thread: Is My "Nero Digital Audio Decoder" not working?

Hi everyone,

I've just obtained some .avi files, compressed with Xvid, but, when I went to play them, although the image played fine, there was a distinct lack of sound.

I've assumed that this is a codec problem (either that, or they don't have sound), so I cranked out my copy of Gspot and ran a test on them. It came to the conclusion that I should be able to play these files.It said that the required Codec was:

ac3 (0x2000) Dolby Laboratories, Inc

And that the Codec is installed (Nero Digital Audio Decoder should be able to play it).

It also seems that there is an audio file since Gspot says that the audio is: 192 kb/s (96/ch, stereo) CBR with a frequency of 48000 Hz.

But, still, when I go to play the files in MediaPlayer or PowerDVD or WinDVD the picture plays, and the sound doesn't. I'm no expert on Codecs really - up until now I've never had a problem with all sorts of .avi files.

Is the Nero Digital Audio Decoder at fault? I assume that's part of Nero, so should I reinstall Nero, or can I swap the codec that's used to decode the audio to a different one, and, if so, how?

Thanks a lot.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Um, I've solved my problem. I think my answer was "yes". The Nero thingy wasn't working.

I reinstalled Nero: Problem solved.

Just thought I'd say that in case anyone else had the same problem.