Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Microsoft Accepts EU Decision

Samurai's Avatar Usenet Fanboy
    Microsoft announced today that it will not appeal against the European Union's court order compelling the company to remove Windows Media Player from the Windows XP operating system in Europe.

In a statement to the Associated Press, they announced the company had "decided to forego its right to appeal the Court of First Instance's...ruling of December 22, 2004. Rather than seeking to suspend the Commission's remedies, Microsoft's focus now is on working constructively with the Commission on their full and prompt implementation."

The software giant lost its bid in December to delay the sanctions any further. The original ruling in March 2004 involved a wopping £331m/$613m fine against the company. As well as stripping Windows Media Player from Windows XP, Microsoft has been ordered to reveal essential APIs to rival software companies like Apple and RealPlayer.

The company must now deliver a new version of Windows XP sans Windows Media Player. Microsoft has stated that the version will be available in "coming weeks" but it's still not clear just how they will remove it. A lot of elements native to Windows XP refer to Windows Media Player meaning that the removal task could be much more than taking out media player code, and could affect various user interfaces. Whatever happens in terms of the code, one can expect Microsoft to begin offering a Windows XP without WMP by March in Europe. The rest of Microsofts appeal against a previous EU ruling continues.

source @ http://www.neowin.net/comments.php?i...&category=main

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Arm's Avatar Poster
    Bah 600 million. Now a 60 billion fine would be better.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Quote Originally Posted by Arm
    Bah 600 million. Now a 60 billion fine would be better.

Ah! strict but fair I see.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Mïcrösöül°V³'s Avatar Hammer Smashed Face
    whats the big deal?!?!? Who cares if Media player is there or not? I dont get it.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    backlash's Avatar usenet lover
    yeah, I think it's good to have so there's always a way to play cds, mp3s, movies right away and not have to DL an application. Not that I use WMP, but it's good to have for the average user.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    I believe it was something to do with MS trying to freeze the competition out.

Although I have to say, Real Media seems as dodgy as WMP when it comes to spyware etc.,
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    I don't really use the windows media player anyway, nor do I use internet explorer.

It's good that they provide the basics for the noobies tho', I don't understand what the big deal is really.

As long as they release the codecs as open source or something I don't see why the OS has to be rebuilt.
    Last edited by Snee; 01-24-2005 at 10:28 PM.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Question:what if people in that country dont have the internet,how will they play their music?

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Skillian's Avatar T H F C f a n BT Rep: +1
    Buy software so someone else gets a chance at making money?

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Ultimately this is bad for the consumer.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast