Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When Will Dvdr Dics Gain Popularity?

All i see in the stores is cdr cdrw, but very few dvdr/dvdrw's. Furthermore they are rather expensive. How long is it going to take for dvdr's to gain popularity over cdr's. Will we be making direct copies of dvd movies instead of using compressed forms such as divx/xvid. I am sure someone already knows how to beat the encription on the movie dvd's made by macromedia. I just can't wait until I will be burning a dvd instead of a cdr, don't you feel the same way!

2. Movies & TV   -   #2
    Jibbler's Avatar proud member of MDS
    I'm already burning DVDs with my Pioneer A05. You may find DVD writers will be come less expensive, but you can't make a direct DVD to DVD-R copy. This has nothing to do with encryption. It has to do with limitations of the disc. DVD-R discs are only single layer, so they can't hold as much data as the original disc.
    Proud member of MDS

3. Movies & TV   -   #3
    ShareDaddy's Avatar OLD ShareDaddy
    Originally posted by Jibbler@1 April 2003 - 16:52
    I'm already burning DVDs with my Pioneer A05. You may find DVD writers will be come less expensive, but you can't make a direct DVD to DVD-R copy. This has nothing to do with encryption. It has to do with limitations of the disc. DVD-R discs are only single layer, so they can't hold as much data as the original disc.
    Yes you can (make copy for copy) depending on size. Certain programs will also compress the movie (not encode) to make them fit. The older the movie the more likely you are going to be able to make a perfect clone of the movie on a single disc. Even newer movies can be done with out as much as a hint that they are not the original, just takes practice. As for the expensive DVD media, only in stores is it still expensive, on the net you can find them for as little as 80 cents US a piece, when bought in bulk (50/100/500). Preferred media of choice for me is Ritek, all silver on top and a dark purple dye, they work great.

4. Movies & TV   -   #4
    i'm still waiting for the prices to go down... i'm a student, so i dont have much money to spare

5. Movies & TV   -   #5
    The discs may be cheap, but the DVD writer hardware is still far too expensive.

6. Movies & TV   -   #6
    ShareDaddy's Avatar OLD ShareDaddy
    Originally posted by Crackedup@1 April 2003 - 19:35
    The discs may be cheap, but the DVD writer hardware is still far too expensive.
    For what a DVD Burner can do, I do not think so. Simply based on the average priced DVD, let us say 15 dollars US, you can save at least 10 dollars every time you click the burn button. I may have thought the same way before I purchased my 57" Widescreen TV, however since I have definitely leaned towards DVD instead of avi, avi's looked really good, near DVD quality on my 32" TV, however spread out over 57 inches they leave a lot to be desired. I do not know about anyone else on our forum, but my kids have trashed quite a few DVD movies and being able to make back-up copies for 1/15th the initial cost cannot be beat. Let the kids use the back-up's for viewing, if they trash one, your out 80 cents instead of 15 bucks. In the end the initial investment was a wise one for most if not all people.

7. Movies & TV   -   #7
    Poster
    I am in the know of someone who copys and sells DVD's for £5. it includes a case and cover too (except the dvd does not get a cover printed on as apparnatly it wrecks the dvd?) anyway, these people have made quite a large profit of it.

if any police come to my door I shall deny any knowledge of this and shall deny it was me who posted it, a virus posted this.... yes, yes thats right! damn these viruses.

edit: so my point was where this mysterious person of whom I have no connections with is from he makes a lot of profit because the popularity is so high.

8. Movies & TV   -   #8
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    i seen a dvd writer for £50.
    end of line clearance sale or something.
    not got a dvd player so not much use.
    cd-r is fine for me now.
    just watch films on my tv with latop tv-out.

9. Movies & TV   -   #9
    I'm quite happy to back up to CD-R, not being able to afford a 57" TV either ShareDaddy . I'm sure the prices will tumble as more and more are sold. The other thing clouding the issue is the different competing formats a la VHS/Betamax/Philips 2000 with video. It's a shame the different manufacturers couldn't agree a unified format - as usual their greed appears to have got in the way.

10. Movies & TV   -   #10
    1/2 Man, 1/2 Amazing
    The sony drive i believe it is, writes and reads all formats, so thats becomming less of an issue.

as far as when will they gain popularity? Its when consumers find the value/price ratio to their liking of dvdr drives. Right now, that amount of consumers is in the minority. I for one, if i had the cash, would love to get one, unfortunately, its not a necessity yet for me. I imagine within the next year, as the prices drop even more, I will probably get one.

But once the price point reaches what most consider a fair value, only then will they become popular.

But hey, maybe sharedaddy will buy me one? lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast