Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft Accepts EU Decision

l fail to see how you can call Windows a monopoly. Windows is where it is because it has provided what customers want and they have bought it. There are other OS's out there, free ones too, and programs that will allow you to run Windows programs on them. If you don't like Windows don't use it. Windows has always been a bundled software, but nothing bundled has ever been the best at what it does, and Microsoft hasn't tried to make it so, with the possible exception of IE. Just look at Paint, Word Pad and the system tools. There is nothing to stop you using third party add-ons, and there never was, file associations see to that. Blaming Microsoft because stuff comes bundled is crap,

Those of us who were there pre-Windows appreciate what Microsoft has done over the past 15 years or so, and talking of prices, software was more expensive before Windows than it is now. Microsoft has done more than any other company to bring prices down for consumers. Not just software prices either, they are also responsible in a huge way for the drop in computer prices through the millions of people Windows has brought in, ask anyone who has used Edlin just how user friendly they once were.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #62
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by UKResident
    l fail to see how you can call Windows a monopoly. Windows is where it is because it has provided what customers want and they have bought it. There are other OS's out there, free ones too, and programs that will allow you to run Windows programs on them. If you don't like Windows don't use it. Windows has always been a bundled software, but nothing bundled has ever been the best at what it does, and Microsoft hasn't tried to make it so, with the possible exception of IE. Just look at Paint, Word Pad and the system tools. There is nothing to stop you using third party add-ons, and there never was, file associations see to that. Blaming Microsoft because stuff comes bundled is crap,

Those of us who were there pre-Windows appreciate what Microsoft has done over the past 15 years or so, and talking of prices, software was more expensive before Windows than it is now. Microsoft has done more than any other company to bring prices down for consumers. Not just software prices either, they are also responsible in a huge way for the drop in computer prices through the millions of people Windows has brought in, ask anyone who has used Edlin just how user friendly they once were.
    No, no, no....you don't understand. People are spoiled brats and Windows is a CPOS. Through the years, since Windows inception from Xerox, there have always been better OS's and MS has never allowed anyone to see them. Linux is the future.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

3. The Drawing Room   -   #63
    Quote Originally Posted by Withcheese
    I don't use it so what's your point?

Maybe you should try out some of the options, I know it can be a little frightening but there are better media players out there to use you don't have to use what Bill tells you to.

Try these links:

http://www.winamp.com/player/

http://www.bsplayer.org/

http://www.divx-digest.com/software/...r_classic.html

These are just my personal choices I'm sure others can add to the list. Try each one out see if you like them.

You can go here for a nice little bundle pack of all sorts of media players/codecs/etc. If you have trouble installing them feel free to PM me.

Next week we'll teach you how to change your screensaver.
    I've got 'em all, CheeseWhiz, including MPC.

Maybe your post should go in the Guides Section.

Oh and what's "dodgy" about WMP?

edit: ...and wtf are you talking about...this screensaver thingie?

btw screensavers don't save your screen, genius.
    Last edited by Busyman; 01-26-2005 at 01:08 PM.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

4. The Drawing Room   -   #64
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman

edit: ...and wtf are you talking about...this screensaver thingie?

btw screensavers don't save your screen, genius.
    A screen saver is an image that is activated on a personal computer display when no user activity has been sensed for a certain time. The original purpose of a screen saver was to prevent burn-in (the burning of an image into the phosphor inside the cathode ray tube after hours of the same image being displayed). In fact, today's CRT/LCD display technology makes burn-in unlikely except under extreme conditions. The perfect screensaver is the black screen... a bit boring, huh? Many people get screen savers so that something interesting is on the screen when they make a pause.

If I have time I'll screen-grab some pictures to show you how you can change your screensaver later on. It's a little difficult for a computer novice like yourself but I think it's well worth the effort (though only for cosmetic reasons these days obviously).
    Last edited by Withcheese; 01-26-2005 at 02:40 PM.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #65
    The prefect screensaver is the black screen
    Exactly...save your typing genius.

Wtf does a prefect have to do with screensavers? STFU!!

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

6. The Drawing Room   -   #66
    Right you two, outside, fingernails at 10 paces.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #67
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    Exactly...save your typing genius.

Wtf does a prefect have to do with screensavers? STFU!!
    Good point. Sorry to have confused you so easily with my spelling mistake.

I, of course, meant 'perfect screensaver'. As mentioned, a black screen is the best to have but it is a little dull don't you think?

Personally I have a burning fire effect, like this one. It's a tad frivolous but it does look pretty damn cool. Though I would experiement with easier screensavers first before attempting to utilize a more complictaed one like I use.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #68
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    nice to see the eu stepping up to microsoft since the states found them to be a monopoly and then sat back and did nothing about it. hell there punishment was to give away free software to the schools. somehow giving away free copies of software to children does not seem like a punishment since the kids now all use microsoft products.

intergrating media player/internet explorer into windows has lead to so many security problems that its not even funny and the simple fact is these products are not free we have to pay for them when you buy windows. the reason behind including these into the operating system has been proved in court to be killing of competition. netscape was given a huge payout recently for this.

another problem the eu had with microsoft was that it was telling pc retailers that they where not allowed to include certain competing products with windows(realplayer is a known product). this is a bit like buying your cooker and being told oh yeah you cant buy baked beans from heinz with this cooker but you can have this other brand. punishment for not following microsofts rules was being charged full price for windows which would completly kill alot of companies.

@busyman have you ever used any of the windows api's ? they are pretty terrible. when microsoft made the jump from the 9x kernel to the nt kernel they had to include alot of backward compatibility. often programs would be completly broken due to bad programming on the makers behalf but microsoft had to support them anyway. This lead to windows having often strange results when using documented features. unless certain code is made public this sorts of problems can never be dealt with. it will also give the wine team somehelp which would really help out linux.

microsoft have been using pretty much illegal business practices for years now and this well slap on the wrist probably is not going to stop it.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #69
    Nice screensaver there WC, unfortunately you need a high spec machine to run it, P200 and 32mb RAM ... oh well, next time.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #70
    Good point. Sorry to have confused you so easily with my spelling mistake.

I, of course, meant 'perfect screensaver'. As mentioned, a black screen is the best to have but it is a little dull don't you think?

Personally I have a burning fire effect, like this one. It's a tad frivolous but it does look pretty damn cool. Though I would experiement with easier screensavers first before attempting to utilize a more complictaed one like I use.
    Thanks anyway. I'll stick with my boring black screen.

If I want fire, I'll rub your sister's fat legs together.

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast