Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Iran

bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Now that it is 'on the cards' that Iran is going to be attacked either by America or Israel on behalf of America or vice-versa. Where does this put the coalition troops in Iraq. Should the above happen then Iraq would become a buffer zone or a 'launching site' for any assault. Should the coalition troops withdraw from Iraq at the first sign of any conflict with Iran?
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Should the US attack Iran I think it is unlikely that many of the Coalition forces would remain. I really don't know about Blair. It is unlikely to happen just yet so there is a chance he could be re-elected in May before difficult choices have to be made.

If Israel attacks it will only be selective bombing of sites and the Iranians may respond in kind as they have the missiles to do so. This might be a bit tense but it would unlikely be major or last long. In which case, I think the Coalition would continue for a while but that it would disolve over the following months as public opinion would determine (rightly or wrongly) that Israel did not act alone. Israel will not invade Iran as it does not have the manpower for that kind of large scale assault on such a large country involving several border crossings - minimally Jordan and Iraq and possibly also Turkey.

At this point, I think we are looking at sabre rattling in the hope that Iran is seen to comply with the agreement with the EU, which would largely be acceptable to Washington if adequate inspections are allowed. The danger is that Iran takes the hump and goes for the bomb. This latter option depending on how close they are. Some think that they are already there as they obtained the necessary expertise and equipment some time ago. All a bit of a gamble. They may, like Israel, refuse to confirm or deny their status for years.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles
    Should the US attack Iran I think it is unlikely that many of the Coalition forces would remain. I really don't know about Blair. It is unlikely to happen just yet so there is a chance he could be re-elected in May before difficult choices have to be made.

If Israel attacks it will only be selective bombing of sites and the Iranians may respond in kind as they have the missiles to do so. This might be a bit tense but it would unlikely be major or last long. In which case, I think the Coalition would continue for a while but that it would disolve over the following months as public opinion would determine (rightly or wrongly) that Israel did not act alone. Israel will not invade Iran as it does not have the manpower for that kind of large scale assault on such a large country involving several border crossings - minimally Jordan and Iraq and possibly also Turkey.

At this point, I think we are looking at sabre rattling in the hope that Iran is seen to comply with the agreement with the EU, which would largely be acceptable to Washington if adequate inspections are allowed. The danger is that Iran takes the hump and goes for the bomb. This latter option depending on how close they are. Some think that they are already there as they obtained the necessary expertise and equipment some time ago. All a bit of a gamble. They may, like Israel, refuse to confirm or deny their status for years.
    A simple yes or no would have done.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4

I am a Civil Servent.

err...

What is a simple Yes or No?

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles

I am a Civil Servent.

What is a simple Yes or No?
    'Feck arf, you can't claim housing benefit' - some Civil Servants don't seem to have that trouble

Btw, I enjoyed your post, it put a realistic perspective forward that flys in the face of the sensationalist news reports I've seen on the matter. I may have learnt a bit too!
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Thank you. (I hope I am right )

Housing?

*shudder*

There are distinct advantages to working where the public may not enter. Oh yes indeed.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    Simple yes or no?

There is no simple yes or no....biggles post was very well written (good job btw ).

As for me, let Israel attack, whatever the consequences for that action is, it's gonna be more than what Israel deserves for what they've been doing since it's creation.

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    I don't default to open conflict with Iran.

It is interesting just now that the similar question exists with regard to North Korea, the difference being, of course, the cultural mores of the constituencies concerned.
    I find myself wondering how much attention North Korea and Iran are paying to each other's situation; Kim Jong Il's overt belligerence into the bargain, the scenarios are remarkably similar, owing to the generally "hotter" climate in the mideast.

One wonders which situation will reach crisis first, or if at all.

I think, apart from the developmental aspect in Iran, the situation is most likely to remain static.

I could go on, but only in a droning, academic way.

Consider yourselves lucky.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    Praise the lord for J2 isn't droning on
    Last edited by cpt_azad; 01-26-2005 at 06:13 AM.

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by cpt_azad
    Praise the lord for J2 isn't droning on
    Ah-I did not know you were religious, mon capitain!
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast