Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AMD Athlon 64 + Intel Pentium 4 (Laptop)

VIP...just ask any
    Damn.... sure wish I had this info before hand.... I told the guy building my sons comp to go ahead and install the intel 3.4 chip w/ a geforce 9800 ultra. So far it's working ok, but the price just about kilt me.

Thanx for your information and links, lynx.

The wife says I need to build us one now.... guess I'll be looking into the Athlon chips....

How about the Asus mother boards?... do they last as long as, and are they as good as Intel? I know nothing about Asus, never even heard of them until a couple of months ago.. only thing I've ever used is Intel (along with half the world I guess)

I see a lot more people in here with Asus in their spec's... must be getting a good name, eh?

Thanx again,
    WR

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    lynx's Avatar .
    Asus are probably one of the top board makers ATM, along with MSI and Abit. I don't think Intel even make their own boards, so any Intel branded boards are probably made by one of the above anyway.

I can't say for certain which is best, those who've already gone for the Athlon64 can probably advise you better. If you go for the Athlon64, get the Socket 939 Winchester (90nm) version for best performance and lowest temps, and make sure you get the matching Socket 939 mobo. They may be very slightly more expensive but I understand the improvements are well worth it.

A word of warning: you may have to do a bios update to get the board to work properly with the Winchester chip, but it is no big deal.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    thx for every1's reply!!!

i want this laptop for personal use, maybe to watch dvds once in while...
    i dont play games much well i like to play counter strike!
    are there any other concerns expect the graphic card!

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    lynx's Avatar .
    Save £100 and get better graphics too.

Acer from CCL
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12