Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Changing The Way The World Works.

Okay. Here's a list of interesting books.
    1. "Conscious Evolution" by Barbara Marx Hubbard
    2. "Islam: Beliefs and Observances" by Caesar E. Farah, Ph.D.
    3. "Documents of American History" by Henry Steele Commager
    4. "The Power of the Modern Presidency" by Erwin C. Hargrove
    5. "Constitutional Law of the Federal System" by C. Herman Pritchett
    6. "Growth and Welfare in the American Past" by Douglass C. North
    7. "The Jesus Myth" by Andrew M. Greeley
    8. "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand
    9. "Markings" by Dag Hammarskjold
    10. "Being and Time" by Martin Heidegger
    11. "None Dare Call It Conspiracy" by Gary Allen (with Larry Abraham)
    12. "It's A Conspiracy!" by The National Insecurity Council
    13. "Constitution: Fact or Fiction-The Story of the Nation's Descent from a Constitutional Republic through a Constitutional Dictatorship to an Unconstitutional Dictatorship" by Dr. Eugene Schroder (with Micki Nellis)
    14. "The Right to Privacy" by Ellen Alderman and Caroline Kennedy
    15. "An Illiberal Education" by Dinesh D' Souza
    16. "The End of Racism" by Dinesh D' Souza
    17. "The Death of Common Sense" by Phillip K. Howard
    18. "Dianetics" by L. Ron Hubbard
    19. "Dismantling the Cold War Economy" by Ann Markusen and Joel Yudken
    20. "Who Will Tell the People: The Betrayal of American Democracy" by William Greider
    21. "The Rise And Fall of the Third Reich" by William L. Shirer
    22. "Armageddon: The Russians in War and Revolution" by Bruce Lincoln (plus his other...historical efforts)
    23. "1984" by George Orwell
    24. "Fahrenheit 451" by Ray Bradbury
    25. "Animal Farm" by George Orwell
    26. "Nature's End" by Whitley Strieber and James Kunetka
    27. "Excellence: Can We Be Equal and Excellent Too?" by John W. Gardner
    28. "The Meaning of the 20th Century: The Great Transition" by Kenneth E. Boulding
    29. "Situation Ethics: The New Morality" by Joseph Fletcher
    30. "Power and Prosperity: Outgrowing Communist and Capitalist Dictatorships" by Mancur Olson
    31. "A Force Upon the Plain: The American Militia Movement and the Politics of Hate" by Kenneth S. Stern

Now, some of these I've read over the years. However, a lot of them I've read within the last 8 or so months. (Not exclusively, but they are the ones with the most relevant information.)

Discussing the topics brought forth in these books may prevent you from being invited to the next beer bash in your town , but it may help alter this world for the good.

Religion is too passive, with its focus on the eternal afterlife, instead of the focus upon: What can we do NOW?
    How can we help the physical world NOW? How can I ensure my child's child will not live in a negative utopian vision? How can corporations which focus on the bottom line realize the ever proven tenet "Short term expediency always fails in the long term?"

Violence is wrong. The world can not be changed for good through violence. It simply won't wash.

So. All these people at this site are very willing to toss in their opinions.

Let me have 'em!

HOW DO WE LET THE RULING PEOPLE KNOW THAT WE DO NOT APPRECIATE THEIR PLANS FOR US, (exploitation), AND HOW DO WE DO SO IN A WAY WHICH DOES NOT MAKE US DEAD ? (which, of course, is a bit worse than exploitation)

Ideas?
    Come on.
    I know it's a quixotic question, but I have to ask.
    I've been reading for over 30 years. I'm 35 now.
    It's time the evidence, opinions and thoughts are brought forth, in a mass media type of way.
    I know the war is real. I know the world is real.
    I'm only a drummer, B) (unrecorded as of yet), and writer, (unpublished so far), and those are what I want as careers.
    My hobby, brought about by what I've read in down time, is "saving the world". (Is that an effing crock, or what?)
    Really, though. I've read so many books which talk about the future, and it's so important that we get beyond what we consider the BIG questions now.
    How can anyone even be concerned about race? As I've said in my other post, our blood is red the world entire. That's freakin 'IT! End of discussion! There are genuises of every race, there are retarded folks within every race. There are sweet people in every race, and there are homicidal sociopaths in every race. That...is...IT!
    If you're concerned about your precious "heritage", than become literate beyond signing your name to a check buying beer to numb your mind and educate yourself.
    Racism is a very powerful tool in the hands of people seeking to turn and sway public opinion.
    Now, with racism out of the way, maybe a little focus on real threats. Hmm?
    Anyone? Anyone?

Someone out there give me a place to look for information.
    Websites?
    How to motivate major corporations, such as oil companies
    and GE to fundmentally overhaul how they operate?
    How to motivate us, or rather, the U.S. leaders, to turn the society upside down so that in 100 years our descendants will not have to be happy with a 40 year life span with raging aggressive cancers common and most of the ecosystems destroyed?
    How to get people back in space?
    I'm not a tech, and hindsight may be 20/20, but I sure as hell would not have allowed the space shuttle to go into orbit knowing some stuff had fallen from the frigging shuttle! Geez! It's only people's lives and the space program at risk!
    Of course, now the $ that would've gone to the space program can be rerouted to........FIGHTING EVIL TERRORISTS!
    Of course. Of course.
    (I wish the hell I could write something under 50 fucking paragraphs.)

2. Lounge   -   #2
    Did you forget to take your lithium? You need to stop hyperventilating and FOCUS! You can't solve the worlds problems in a post.

Nobody will read a post over 50 lines, so hit hard us with a specific topic and maybe we can give you some input.

BTW, a stitch in time saves nine.

Violence has a role. I just don't see the United States becoming an independent country by saying "Seriously King George man, let us do this country thing, it would be so cool. Peace out."

When one person, or group exploits another, sometimes violence is the only solution. This being said, I am not convinced that the war in Iraq is justified. George and his posse better find some serious shit to back up their accusations, the American and British troops need to conduct themselves in a dignified manner, and there should be a rapid removal of military control by non-Muslims when the war is over.

This war will really be judged retrospectively.

Just to let you know, I had a friend who served in Desert Storm. He actually processed Iraqi POWs. These POW's told him that Hussein had told them that if caught, they would be tortured to death AND that Americans were CANNIBALS.

This surfaced again tonight as the Americans captured a city in Iraq. As they entered, the town was fearful as they were told by the Bathe party that all males btw 18 and ?, would be killed.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

3. Lounge   -   #3
    ClubDiggler's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by longterm@2 April 2003 - 05:22

Religion is too passive, with its focus on the eternal afterlife, instead of the focus upon: What can we do NOW?
    Passive! I beg to differ. I think religion is not passive enough.
    Quite the opposite. Much aggression has been a direct result from it.
    I agree their focus is on the afterlife, but that is not necessarily a bad
    thing if a prerequisite to enter the heavens is to do good deeds.
    Do on to others.....Well you know the rest!!!

By the way, that post of yours is long. :beerchug:

4. Lounge   -   #4
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Originally posted by longterm@2 April 2003 - 05:22
    Okay. Here's a list of interesting books.
    1. "Conscious Evolution" by Barbara Marx Hubbard
    2. "Islam: Beliefs and Observances" by Caesar E. Farah, Ph.D.
    3. "Documents of American History" by Henry Steele Commager
    4. "The Power of the Modern Presidency" by Erwin C. Hargrove
    5. "Constitutional Law of the Federal System" by C. Herman Pritchett
    6. "Growth and Welfare in the American Past" by Douglass C. North
    7. "The Jesus Myth" by Andrew M. Greeley
    8. "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand
    9. "Markings" by Dag Hammarskjold
    10. "Being and Time" by Martin Heidegger
    11. "None Dare Call It Conspiracy" by Gary Allen (with Larry Abraham)
    12. "It's A Conspiracy!" by The National Insecurity Council
    13. "Constitution: Fact or Fiction-The Story of the Nation's Descent from a Constitutional Republic through a Constitutional Dictatorship to an Unconstitutional Dictatorship" by Dr. Eugene Schroder (with Micki Nellis)
    14. "The Right to Privacy" by Ellen Alderman and Caroline Kennedy
    15. "An Illiberal Education" by Dinesh D' Souza
    16. "The End of Racism" by Dinesh D' Souza
    17. "The Death of Common Sense" by Phillip K. Howard
    18. "Dianetics" by L. Ron Hubbard
    19. "Dismantling the Cold War Economy" by Ann Markusen and Joel Yudken
    20. "Who Will Tell the People: The Betrayal of American Democracy" by William Greider
    21. "The Rise And Fall of the Third Reich" by William L. Shirer
    22. "Armageddon: The Russians in War and Revolution" by Bruce Lincoln (plus his other...historical efforts)
    23. "1984" by George Orwell
    24. "Fahrenheit 451" by Ray Bradbury
    25. "Animal Farm" by George Orwell
    26. "Nature's End" by Whitley Strieber and James Kunetka
    27. "Excellence: Can We Be Equal and Excellent Too?" by John W. Gardner
    28. "The Meaning of the 20th Century: The Great Transition" by Kenneth E. Boulding
    29. "Situation Ethics: The New Morality" by Joseph Fletcher
    30. "Power and Prosperity: Outgrowing Communist and Capitalist Dictatorships" by Mancur Olson
    31. "A Force Upon the Plain: The American Militia Movement and the Politics of Hate" by Kenneth S. Stern

Now, some of these I've read over the years. However, a lot of them I've read within the last 8 or so months. (Not exclusively, but they are the ones with the most relevant information.)

Discussing the topics brought forth in these books may prevent you from being invited to the next beer bash in your town , but it may help alter this world for the good.

How can we help the physical world NOW? How can I ensure my child's child will not live in a negative utopian vision? How can corporations which focus on the bottom line realize the ever proven tenet "Short term expediency always fails in the long term?"

Violence is wrong. The world can not be changed for good through violence. It simply won't wash.

So. All these people at this site are very willing to toss in their opinions.

Let me have 'em!

HOW DO WE LET THE RULING PEOPLE KNOW THAT WE DO NOT APPRECIATE THEIR PLANS FOR US, (exploitation), AND HOW DO WE DO SO IN A WAY WHICH DOES NOT MAKE US DEAD ? (which, of course, is a bit worse than exploitation)

Ideas?
    Come on.
    I know it's a quixotic question, but I have to ask.
    I've been reading for over 30 years. I'm 35 now.
    It's time the evidence, opinions and thoughts are brought forth, in a mass media type of way.
    I know the war is real. I know the world is real.
    I'm only a drummer, B) (unrecorded as of yet), and writer, (unpublished so far), and those are what I want as careers.
    My hobby, brought about by what I've read in down time, is "saving the world". (Is that an effing crock, or what?)
    Really, though. I've read so many books which talk about the future, and it's so important that we get beyond what we consider the BIG questions now.
    How can anyone even be concerned about race? As I've said in my other post, our blood is red the world entire. That's freakin 'IT! End of discussion! There are genuises of every race, there are retarded folks within every race. There are sweet people in every race, and there are homicidal sociopaths in every race. That...is...IT!
    If you're concerned about your precious "heritage", than become literate beyond signing your name to a check buying beer to numb your mind and educate yourself.
    Racism is a very powerful tool in the hands of people seeking to turn and sway public opinion.
    Now, with racism out of the way, maybe a little focus on real threats. Hmm?
    Anyone? Anyone?

Someone out there give me a place to look for information.
    Websites?
    How to motivate major corporations, such as oil companies
    and GE to fundmentally overhaul how they operate?
    How to motivate us, or rather, the U.S. leaders, to turn the society upside down so that in 100 years our descendants will not have to be happy with a 40 year life span with raging aggressive cancers common and most of the ecosystems destroyed?
    How to get people back in space?
    I'm not a tech, and hindsight may be 20/20, but I sure as hell would not have allowed the space shuttle to go into orbit knowing some stuff had fallen from the frigging shuttle! Geez! It's only people's lives and the space program at risk!
    Of course, now the $ that would've gone to the space program can be rerouted to........FIGHTING EVIL TERRORISTS!
    Of course. Of course.
    (I wish the hell I could write something under 50 fucking paragraphs.)
    Longterm-
    Hobbes is right-I've probably read 1/4 of the books on your list, and decided long ago (I believe after Dinesh D'Souza) that I would overload if I continued.
    I think you're having that problem right now.
    You're obviously very intelligent-Hobbes and I are, too, but doing it like you're trying to do is much too difficult in this medium. Could you pick one or two things for us to kick around?
    By the way, I would move "Atlas Shrugged" to the top of your list, for several reasons: 1) It provides the ultimate explanation of the capitalist system and it's impetuses, and does it in a favorable fashion, 2) It goes a long way toward explaining America, and 3) Anyone who has the fortitude to read it and the brains to understand it will have "earned" the right to read the rest of your list.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. Lounge   -   #5
    Originally posted by ClubDiggler+2 April 2003 - 06:17--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ClubDiggler @ 2 April 2003 - 06:17)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--longterm@2 April 2003 - 05:22

Passive&#33; I beg to differ. I think religion is not passive enough.
    Quite the opposite. Much aggression has been a direct result from it.
    I agree their focus is on the afterlife, but that is not necessarily a bad
    thing if a prerequisite to enter the heavens is to do good deeds.
    Do on to others.....Well you know the rest&#33;&#33;&#33;

By the way, that post of yours is long. :beerchug: [/b][/quote]
    YES, YES&#33;

The significance of religion, even when considered as a generic influence which sways everybody and everything, is ignored in the U.S. by those who argue about events (it is, after all, PC).

The part religion plays in the Mideast is not really addressed by the pundits; they view Islam as dark and mysterious and unexplainable (at least to the hoi polloi), contributing only to the "fundamentalist fervor and extremism" of it&#39;s practitioners.

In short, they don&#39;t understand it; they don&#39;t care to, and they&#39;re too lazy to try.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

6. Lounge   -   #6
    j2 - what the hell was that about? i didnt even read the topic post&#33;

but religion&#39;s only use is to group people together and segregate each other even more. it is a cultural and traditional [mockery?] that bands people together and is otherwise useless.

are u guys religious?

(j2 i havent gotten around to changin my randy johnson sig. for some reason everythinh i post wont show. i think its the picture server.)

7. Lounge   -   #7
    Originally posted by Z@2 April 2003 - 08:04
    j2 - what the hell was that about? i didnt even read the topic post&#33;

but religion&#39;s only use is to group people together and segregate each other even more. it is a cultural and traditional [mockery?] that bands people together and is otherwise useless.

are u guys religious?

(j2 i havent gotten around to changin my randy johnson sig. for some reason everythinh i post wont show. i think its the picture server.)
    You&#39;re right, I need to simplify that post:

1) The Mideast is a region in turmoil, historically due to religious/sub-sect differences.

2) Mideastern countries are individually and collectively insular as regards their religion(s).

3) This turmoil is compounded by social/developmental/economic imbalance.

4) In it&#39;s reporting, the media ignores the overriding concern (religious differences) in order to emphasize everything else. ("Who would suffer an in-depth discussion of religion on a news program?").

I believe in God, Z, but I&#39;m not "born-again"-I got it right the first time.

-Mark Twain

8. Lounge   -   #8
    WeeMouse's Avatar Small and Squeaky
    Any of you guys read "stupid white men"?

9. Lounge   -   #9
    Originally posted by WeeMouse@2 April 2003 - 19:25
    Any of you guys read "stupid white men"?
    Not me, cuz I aren&#39;t one.

Can you capsulize it for us, WeeMouse?

-Mark Twain

10. Lounge   -   #10
    J2k4,

You believe in God ( the Christian one or some other religion), a god (a creator who has yet to be accurately described by any specific religion) or the possibilty of a creator?

I will just give you my spin factors:

1) I would love for there to be a God.

2) I am agnostic, I believe that religions are created by men, who then create their version of God. I firmly believe that organized religions are fairy tales, but I still cannot disprove the existence of a creator. So I look, listen, learn and hope to find a solution where I can find peace. I really envy those who are pure in their beliefs, I would pay any amount of money to truely believe that eternal happiness was awaiting me after physical death. Sometimes it&#39;s good to have Down&#39;s syndrome.

3) I live my life doing unto others and so on, assuming that any god will see that I am a person of integrity who respects and values the lives and needs of others.

I understand the role of Religion because it provides hope to the hopeless. A salvation in a world which is quite cruel.

I, fortunately, am doing ok. I know this because I can get pissed (mad not drunk) about my hometeam losing a baseball game, as if that was important or something.

Can I give some constructive criticism? Eagle is too big, can&#39;t that be your avatar? I am a proud American, too. Quoting prior posts is not always necessary. People who don&#39;t read through posts to understand what you are referencing are usually not worth listening to.

Please feel free to give me any constructive feedback, I am not easily offended.
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast