Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what r some programs to protect

Quote Originally Posted by Harsh!
    Be cause they tell you they block badIPs ie MPAA & RIAA etc..
    Do you really think that the MPAA & RIAA give out there IP's to these software creators so they can add them to there blocklists etc??

Not likely...
    Just cause theyre not making money from it doesnt mean its not a marketing scam...
    Think of it as a promotion scam if you like
    Perhaps you should consider the methods and effort they use getting those lists.
    Nobody said its full proof just avoids those that are well know which may be the bulk...

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Harsh!'s Avatar n00b
    Its hit and hope...
    There is NO FOOL PROOF method of getting there IP addresses...
    And anyone who tells you differently is a fool, and more fool those who believe them

May well be the bulk you reckon reality??
    Thats a pretty big "MAY" which just backs up my theory of your lulling yourselves into thinking your secure when really your not...
    I feel sorry for the n00bs(for lack of a better word) that believe all that dribble about block lists, protowall, peerguardian etc

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    erRor67's Avatar Lord Of Everything
    Windows ME sucks ass. One of the worse operating systems you can get. Id rather have 98. Anywayz, like above Protowall doesnt work on ME or 98 so upgrade to XP or 2000. And Protowall plus blocklist manager is a kick ass job. And it does work. It does block out the ips of riaa/mpaa. Of course, they probably dont know ALL the ips of them so its not 100% protection. But its better than nothing.
    blah blah blah... whatever...

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Its hit and hope...
    There is NO FOOL PROOF method of getting there IP addresses...
    And anyone who tells you differently is a fool, and more fool those who believe them

May well be the bulk you reckon reality??
    Thats a pretty big "MAY" which just backs up my theory of your lulling yourselves into thinking your secure when really your not...
    I feel sorry for the n00bs(for lack of a better word) that believe all that dribble about block lists, protowall, peerguardian etc
    It's still better than nothing.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Harsh!'s Avatar n00b
    I agree totally that its better than nothing...

But people (n00bs for lack of better word) need to be made aware that these sort of things are not an all end solution to the problem....

You run about as much risk when your using these programs as you would if you were'nt

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    But people (n00bs for lack of better word) need to be made aware that these sort of things are not an all end solution to the problem....
    Who pissed in your cereal this morning? He just asked for programs that would help him. He didn't ask for a full-proof method to stop from being caught. You assume that he is ignorant, and doesn't know that nothing is full-proof. Why am I saying anything, I love it when people use the word n00b without justification. My day just isn't complete unless I see some asshat on a message board give someone a hard time for no reason other than that they felt like being an ass.

Anyway, if you're ISP has already sent you two letters about being caught, I'd give it a break for a while. The last thing you want is a lawsuit, which could cost you thousands of dollars, over a couple of movies you could have just rented for about $5.00. When you get letters, it usually means the ISP was subpoenaed, and they probably gave your infromation to the movie makers lawyers. Definately something to take seriously.
    Last edited by speeddemon5988; 01-31-2005 at 06:58 AM. Reason: Added quote and clarified my sleepy vagueness

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12