Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Symantec Corp AV and XP SP2 question...

Izagaia's Avatar Her angel of darkness
    Beyond midnight, near you, in darkness...

Surprised/Amazed

With the integration of XP's security center from SP2 into many of the known anti-virus and firewall applications available (meaning how XP now is able to report their status) I was wondering if anyone who is using Symantec's corporate anti-virus 9.0.0.38 (or like version) is able to have their system report the status of that application other than having XP list it as detected but "unknown"? The same with the client firewall if you are utilizing that as well?

I would really sort of prefer XP to report it's actual status the way in which Norton Internet Security 2004 and 2005 do.

Did Symantec release un update through LiveUpdate that deals with this issue and I miss it or have they not yet addressed it?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Does it really matter? The security center is a piece of an annoying shit anyways.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    I have checked with Client Firewall 7.1.0.98 and AntiVirus 9.0.0.338 (updates done). They are both detected by Windows Security Center but status is unknown. Perhaps Symantec will solve this with future updates or perhaps not.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Retired
    download the latest corp version

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Xilo
    Does it really matter? The security center is a piece of an annoying shit anyways.
    Out of sheer functionality, well no... it really does not matter, I suppose. However for the sake of just having everything "play together and get along nicely", it would be nice.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Quote Originally Posted by {I}{K}{E}
    download the latest corp version

Thanks, IKE! I just assumed that since I had a version of SAV 9 already, that subsequent "9.xx versions" would be available through LiveUpdate. Not the case, I take it?

At any rate, If you know of an ed2k link for it, would you please PM me or post it if that is allowed? I would appreciate it!

I suppose my last question would be: since I already have Symantec's Client Security installed (which contains AV version 9.0.0.338), can I install the more recent 9.0.2.1000 directly over it? Or would it all require something more involved than that?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    I don't think the install of the later version works on top of the Client Security Version. I'm not sure about that but I think I did that test a while back.

I'm not even sure if the later verion solves the "status" issue. Anyway if you get it to work, please tell us.

Here is the verified hash for 9.0.2.1000: https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/t83610-.html

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtualbody1234
    I don't think the install of the later version works on top of the Client Security Version. I'm not sure about that but I think I did that test a while back.

I'm not even sure if the later verion solves the "status" issue. Anyway if you get it to work, please tell us.

Here is the verified hash for 9.0.2.1000: https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/t83610-.html
    you can install it over your current version

it solves the security center issue

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Absolutely!

Thanks for the help everyone!

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    *UPDATE*

http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/ent...atibility.html

After alittle searching through Symantec's Enterprise support center, the above link should resolve any issues that Symantec enterprise/corporate products have with SP2's security center. Am trying the fix now for Client Security v2.0. I will let you know how it all turns out.

And it all checked out well. The patch, though requiring the original .msi file from your install share/CD, enables Symantec Client Security v2 in it's entirety to become compliant with XP's security center. Fun is good.
    Last edited by Izagaia; 01-31-2005 at 10:09 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast