Thread: Mandrake yep I'm a noob

what do I put here? BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    OK I should be getting my 200 gig HD next week and want to be prepared to try and get this installed so i can duel boot with XP

now I'm guessing XP will have to be installed first. Ive read if you install Linux first XP will override your Linux install is that true???

when I make a Linux partitions this is what is confusing the shit out of me it apparently makes 3 partitions ??

do I just leave 10 GIG un allocated space then run the mandrake installer and choose the 10 gig unallocated space and Linux will do the work and make the 3 out of the 10 gig or.... do I have to create the 3 partitions first ffs.

also is it possible to duel boot with 2 different HDs like use my 80 gig HD for linux and 200 gig for windows. or for a duel boot to be possible for this does it have to be the same HD??

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    It is possible to dual boot linux across as many hdd's as you like. so 80 gigs for linux and 200 for windows sounds good to me.

I would install xp first onto the 200 gig drive. then install linux to the 80 gig drive. it will create the 3 partitions if you give it a blank drive.

then make sure you install grub or lilo as your bootloader so you can pick which os on boot.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    thanks excellent help 4play

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    forgot to ask do i set the jumpers on both HDs for master?? or 1 for master and the second for slave..

if so

does XP install on Master and Linux install on slave??

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    you need to set 200 as master and the 80 as slave.