Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: memory/mobo question

Supernatural's Avatar Poster
    My uncle's computer had 512MB, and when he played BF1942 the computer would page everytime he hit Escape to get to the menu. After upgrading to 1GB, no more paging. Of course RAM doesn't affect frame rates, but paging and loading times are substantially reduced when you double system memory.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Supernatural
    My uncle's computer had 512MB, and when he played BF1942 the computer would page everytime he hit Escape to get to the menu. After upgrading to 1GB, no more paging. Of course RAM doesn't affect frame rates, but paging and loading times are substantially reduced when you double system memory.
    thats what i thought. but back to my original question, can i get a memory exspander or somthing so i dont have to sacrifice one of my 256 memory

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    No, you can't.
    The only way to get what you want is to replace the board with one that has more DIMM slots.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    yes but it could also be that he has too many things running, viruses, spyware, etc. that you didn't know about.
    A super duper spec'd computer doesn't always beat a well-maintained computer.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by rossco_2004
    yes but it could also be that he has too many things running, viruses, spyware, etc. that you didn't know about.
    Yep, but double the memory on a puter and you will notice a substantial increase in performance, no matter how badly it's maintained.

I tripled the mem (512MB -> 1.5 GB) in my brother's 'puter last year, and put in a 9800xt 256Mb card at the same time.

I've never seen a machine change character that much before.

And it wasn't performing badly before it got upgraded either.
    Last edited by Snee; 02-05-2005 at 02:45 PM.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Poster
    so basically if i want to upgrade my mem then i hace to sacrifice one of my 256 for a 512 stick

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Yup.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by foot loose
    so basically if i want to upgrade my mem then i hace to sacrifice one of my 256 for a 512 stick
    That's what I said in the first reply of this thread.

https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showp...37&postcount=2
    Last edited by Virtualbody1234; 02-05-2005 at 06:59 PM.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Supernatural's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by rossco_2004
    The system itself is very clean. Latest working version of NOD32 and Sygate. I mantain the computer for him, so it's clean and secure. But like SnnY said, such an upgrade will improve performance no matter how badly maintained it is.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    The system itself is very clean. Latest working version of NOD32 and Sygate. I mantain the computer for him, so it's clean and secure. But like SnnY said, such an upgrade will improve performance no matter how badly maintained it is.
    Do you have any benchmarks to back your statement?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast