Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AGP cards.

Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    or you could sell up and get a laptop? alot more portable.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    I've got one of those around here somewhere too.
    An old one tho'.
    I don't know, for some reason I've really fallen for the SFF format, it's just so perfect somehow.

@Peerzy: I think the difference in temps between the 6800GT and the 9600XT is a lil bigger than 5 degrees.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    Quote Originally Posted by SnnY

@Peerzy: I think the difference in temps between the 6800GT and the 9600XT is a lil bigger than 5 degrees.

I spose theres no way of telling so would be best to play it safe.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    That's what I was planning to do

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    That's what I was planning to do

Good planning then

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    An Update:

I've done some checking, and some calculations, and it seems as if my system should be able to cope with a 6600GT and three hds at the same time.

Which still leaves the heat issue.

So, the 9600xt is still the leading contender, but the 6600GT is now in play again (this one looks so very tempting) , assuming I can think of a way to keep the heat down.

I'm going to wait until the start of march before I order something, anyway, 'cos I'm waiting for additional components that won't be in stock until then, which gives me a little more time to think.

Regardless of what I choose, tho', I'd like to thank those of you who posted to help me in this thread, it WAS useful no matter what the final choice will be.
    Last edited by Snee; 02-05-2005 at 05:15 PM.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    I would say keep away from the 9600, you like to play a game every now and again right? Cos TheDave was asking about graphics cards in here saying he thinks teh 9600 is to shyte for games and he wanted a new one. The ATI looks like a nice card and so does the Nvidia. You could get an ATI 9800 Pro but the price is the same as a 6600GT so there would be no reason to. ALthough the 9800 Pro offers great gaming capabilities and doesnt create much heat iv heard.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #28
    silent h3ro's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    Quote Originally Posted by Peerzy
    I would say keep away from the 9600, you like to play a game every now and again right? Cos TheDave was asking about graphics cards in here saying he thinks teh 9600 is to shyte for games and he wanted a new one. The ATI looks like a nice card and so does the Nvidia. You could get an ATI 9800 Pro but the price is the same as a 6600GT so there would be no reason to. ALthough the 9800 Pro offers great gaming capabilities and doesnt create much heat iv heard.
    The 6600 GT beats even the 9800 xt I think for the same price as the 9800 Pro but I'm not sure how much heat it generates.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #29
    Thanks, I'll take that into account too.

Was Dave running a regular 9600 w. the standard 128Mb RAM, or a 9600XT with 256 megs tho'?

From what I hear, the difference in performance is pretty marked.

EDit: This sucks, I pretty much know how they look, and the drawbacks with both, but they are just to even for me to see a clear advantage with either one.

I guess I might just flip a coin when the time comes to order.
    Last edited by Snee; 02-05-2005 at 08:55 PM.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #30
    Thanks, I'll take that into account too.

Was Dave running a regular 9600 w. the standard 128Mb RAM, or a 9600XT with 256 megs tho'?

From what I hear, the difference in performance is pretty marked.

EDit: This sucks, I pretty much know how they look, and the drawbacks with both, but they are just to even for me to see a clear advantage with either one.

I guess I might just flip a coin when the time comes to order.
    I think Dave had a 9600Pro with 128mb ram. 256mb ram is not needed with many games (Doom 3 being the only one where you will see an advantage really) and because of more ram card makers use slower memory to keep costs down so 256mb is not always the best way to go unless your card is state of the art (PCI-Express cards for example).

Ofcourse not all companies use slower ram but quite a few do so in some cases 256mb can show slower proformance unless the game needs all the ram (Doom 3 can and will use upto 512mb of Video ram to gain the best proformance but thats the only game i know of so far, MOHPA might use slightly over 128mb and Half Life 2 uses about 128mb at max)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast