Thread: Reinstalling WINDOWS XP with a different CD

slim150's Avatar Poster
    A few years ago I bought my computer ( on ebay :/) which was alright except the video card was generic. Anyway they preinstalled windows on my computer and didn't give me a cd. Now I have to reinstall windows. Is it alright if I go buy windows XP home upgrade (Its only 30 dollars at my university store) and use it to reinstall windows even though the keys wont match?
    "Their most trivial action may mean volumes, or their most extraordinary conduct may depend upon a hairpin or a pair of curling-tongs" - Holmes

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Mïcrösöül°V³'s Avatar Hammer Smashed Face
    If you buy XP home, it will come with a cd key. as far as using an upgrade disc, it will ask you for a previous copy of windows, in this case you will need to borrow someones full copy of, say....win 98 or whatever. When the XP upgrade disc promts you, youi wil insert the older cd so that XP can verify that you are a previous owner of windows. Without the older windows CD, you will have to buy the full install version of XP, which is more expensive.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    it would be easier to just use a corp version (download it) than going through all the activation annoyances with xp home/pro. Even if it can be bought for so cheap.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by slim150
    A few years ago I bought my computer ( on ebay :/) which was alright except the video card was generic. Anyway they preinstalled windows on my computer and didn't give me a cd. Now I have to reinstall windows. Is it alright if I go buy windows XP home upgrade (Its only 30 dollars at my university store) and use it to reinstall windows even though the keys wont match?
    download ROCK-XP, with this tool you can see what your current key is.

write that key down. and use it when you reinstall WinXP

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    All the above work . But after talking to a workmate who paid for XP home. I would just follow Rossco's advice and download Xp pro corp, and be done with the crap .

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    slim150's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by peat moss
    All the above work . But after talking to a workmate who paid for XP home. I would just follow Rossco's advice and download Xp pro corp, and be done with the crap .

what about being able to get windows updates?
    "Their most trivial action may mean volumes, or their most extraordinary conduct may depend upon a hairpin or a pair of curling-tongs" - Holmes

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by slim150
    what about being able to get windows updates?
    works fine with some keys... PM me if you want one.