Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: torrent database!! Is this true?

sameer0807's Avatar I aIn'T nO sErIoUs
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargas
    only if someone connected to the new tracker is seeding it. ie: is sharing 100% of the file(s)
    If the guy who is seeding on the site main tracker wouldn't also show as seeding on my tracker? The torrent file is same, it's just tracker difference.

"I'll be here... I'll be 'waiting'...here... I'll be waiting... for you ... so... If you come here... You'll find me. I promise..."

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    Vargas's Avatar gone fishin'
    Quote Originally Posted by sameer0807
    If the guy who is seeding on the site main tracker wouldn't (he) also show as seeding on my tracker?
    No, the tracker tracks who's sharing, and he's not connected to that tracker
    The torrent file is same, it's just tracker difference.
    the latest champloo episode i downloaded, i found a torrent, but it had 7 seeds and 10 peers, i looked around and found a torrent with the same file, but used a different tracker and it had thousands of seeds and peers (and faster speeds)
    there is also multi tracker torrent files, that you can have more then one tracker in them, in case one goes down, but not all clients support multi-tracker torrents

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    Well i was looking to start my own torrent database....I thought i could use other sites torrent and list them on my tracker...

"I'll be here... I'll be 'waiting'...here... I'll be waiting... for you ... so... If you come here... You'll find me. I promise..."

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    Retired
    Well i was looking to start my own torrent database....I thought i could use other sites torrent and list them on my tracker...
    you cannot use your 'own' tracker for torrents from other sites. if you want to make your own tracker you need people to upload using your tracker. you cannot connect to 2 trackers with 1 torrentfile.

No need to start another tracker there are enough great torrentsites

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    you can connect to two trackers with one torrent... But the torrent file needs to be made with both trackers in mind. I know azureus can do this not sure about other clients though. It'd be client dependent... only some clients have multi-tracker support...

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    lynx's Avatar .
    The other thing to remember is that the torrent is specific to that version of the shared file(s). Change a single byte and the torrent is no good, you can't take a torrent for (for example) Doom3 and share your own personalised version with it, they won't match. This is what prevents fakes.

So there's really no point in starting your own tracker for files which already have a tracker, if you have an exact copy of the same file it is far better to connect to the existing tracker and seed the file via that.

If you think you have a better version of something you can always make your own torrent, but you also have to find a tracker to load it onto, a site to share the torrent, and of course seed the file itself.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    Quote Originally Posted by freak
    you can connect to two trackers with one torrent... But the torrent file needs to be made with both trackers in mind. I know azureus can do this not sure about other clients though. It'd be client dependent... only some clients have multi-tracker support...

No, the bittorent client only attempts to connect to the second tracker if the first is not responding, meaning it is only ever connected to one and any one time. Think of the two tracker thing as one is a backup.

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    damn..guess can't really start a tracker. I wonder how these torrent sites started? I mean when they started off there wouldn't be many peeps comming over to their websites...less torrent files to share, but now most of the tracker sites are huge.

No need to start another tracker there are enough great torrentsites
    Well i wasn't gonna open another pubic site, I mean i thought i could have a nice private site with 500-800 members only.

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Peerzy
    No, the bittorent client only attempts to connect to the second tracker if the first is not responding, meaning it is only ever connected to one and any one time. Think of the two tracker thing as one is a backup.

Ah my mistake... I wouldn't imagine it being to hard for a client to allow you to connect to 2 trackers with one torrent. Wonder if we'll see the option soon or not..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12