Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: torrent database!! Is this true?

sameer0807's Avatar I aIn'T nO sErIoUs

Dry

Hi,

I have a question regarding Bit torrent database, I hope someone will clear it for me. I feel confused....well anyways, Does a site like supernova(now dead) or torrentspy or whatever actually has all the torrents listed on their torrent database?
    I mean there are thousands of files on their database...I can't even think how much total GB those files add togther....... wouldn't that will cost mad$$$$ to host or somethin?
    Or does actually these sites just host torrent links???

Are they hosting torrent links or they actually have all those thousands of files on their server???????

What does it take to have a torrent database? man that's alot of GB!!!
    Last edited by sameer0807; 02-06-2005 at 12:31 PM.

"I'll be here... I'll be 'waiting'...here... I'll be waiting... for you ... so... If you come here... You'll find me. I promise..."

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Sites just host the small torrent files, they do not host any the files at all.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Peerzy
    Sites just host the small torrent files, they do not host any the files at all.
    OK...If these big sites are just hosting small files then where are those thousands of big files hosted on?

"I'll be here... I'll be 'waiting'...here... I'll be waiting... for you ... so... If you come here... You'll find me. I promise..."

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    There not hosted anywhere, there on peoples computers. The torrent file allows you to connect to the people and download the files from there computers.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    There not hosted anywhere, there on peoples computers. The torrent file allows you to connect to the people and download the files from there computers.
    aah IC your point. So let's assume i have a file "X" that i would like to share with others, how does that work? I mean i know that i will first create a torrent of that file "X" then how will people know about that file?
    Isn't that i have to upload that file to some torrent site, so that they can put file "X" on their database and people can download?

Sorry if i sound bit stupid..but I'm not sure how all this torrent database work!

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    muchspl2
    overview of how BitTorrent actually works:

Let's say you want to download a copy of this week's episode of "Desperate Housewives." Rather than downloading the actual digital file that contains the show, instead you would download a small file called a "torrent" onto your computer.

When you open that file on your computer, BitTorrent searches for other users that have downloaded the same "torrent."

BitTorrent's "file-swarming" software breaks the original digital file into fragments, then those fragments are shared between all of the users that have downloaded the "torrent." Then the software stitches together those fragments into a single file that a users can view on their PC.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    then those fragments are shared between all of the users that have downloaded the "torrent."
    Ic what you saying, so if i have a movie file which is approx. 1.00GB in size....how much would be the size of that file once it's created into a torrent file?

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    It doesnt alter the file size of the movie at all, the torrent file would be 5kb or so though.

Lets say i have Doom3, i create a torrent for Doom3 then upload the torrent to a website. I put the torrent into my Bittorent client and click seed. Now you come along and see the torrent for Doom3 so you download the torrent file and put it into your bittorent client and click download. You download Doom3 from me.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    It doesnt alter the file size of the movie at all, the torrent file would be 5kb or so though.

Lets say i have Doom3, i create a torrent for Doom3 then upload the torrent to a website. I put the torrent into my Bittorent client and click seed. Now you come along and see the torrent for Doom3 so you download the torrent file and put it into your bittorent client and click download. You download Doom3 from me.
    that make sense!!

One more question, If i download the torrent for Dhoom3 (or whatever torrent file) from a torrent site and then use that torrent for Dhoom3 to put in my tracker, will that work? I mean would people will able to download that file from my tracker?
    Last edited by sameer0807; 02-06-2005 at 01:33 PM.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Vargas's Avatar gone fishin'
    Quote Originally Posted by sameer0807
    that make sense!!

One more question, If i download the torrent for Doom3 (or whatever torrent file) from a torrent site and then use that torrent for Doom3 to put in my tracker, will that work? I mean would people will able to download that file from my tracker?
    only if someone connected to the new tracker is seeding it. ie: is sharing 100% of the file(s)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast