Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lord Of The Rings Vs Star Wars

Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Lord of the Rings. Medevil and Magic fan here

2. Movies & TV   -   #12
    Star wars for sure! This is the movies we grew up with, the toys we played with as kids. I still have the Millenium Falcon and a X-wing and Tie fighter locked up some where. LOTR is great, but it doesnt have the 30 year history that Star Wars does.

And... i dont think the last 2 movies have ruined anything. True episode 1 wasnt as good as we had hoped, but i think the 2nd was at least as good as the 3 classics.

3. Movies & TV   -   #13
    no way - none of them can touch empire. the clones was half way decent
    but the final jedi vs clones war was lame and the monsters they fought in
    the arena, ugh. the whole thing was just childish.

4. Movies & TV   -   #14
    Poster
    I'd say this topic probably has a few of us showing our age. See back in the late 70's not many people had things like VCR's or cable, and for me, going to see Star Wars on the big screen was a HUGE event. I was 7 or 8 and it is the first time I remember being truly entertained, and all these years later Star Wars is still just as entertaining. I doubt many 7 or 8 year olds could really even understand LOTR(hell, I watched it twice and still had to have a fanboy explain some things), other than just the visual eye candy. Not to mention that LOTR is based on a very classic book series and Star Wars is completely from the mind of crazy George. Something I must also bring up, Star Wars' special effects were ground breaking, for their time they were much more advanced than anything ever seen before. Lord of the Rings visuals, while cutting edge(Gollum anyone), are no where near the milestone for movies that Star Wars were. In fact I'd say without Star Wars laying the groundwork much of LOTR technology would not even have been possible. Now as far as entertainment goes, it's like comparing apples and oranges, whichever you like best 'cause they're both pretty damned good!

5. Movies & TV   -   #15
    the lord of the rings movies just don't hold my attention, as far as the story goes. it seems like by the time it's finished, it's going to be a 9 hour story about a couple of midgets on a journey to throw a magic ring into a volcano. wuuuuuut?

not that star wars is "high art" or anything, but the story and characters seem a lot more complex and meaningful. even if star wars is just a mish-mash of nazis, medieval japan, frank herbert's dune, etc... at least it's an emotionally/mentally engaging mish-mash. LOTR just leaves me cold, in comparison.

6. Movies & TV   -   #16
    Originally posted by Wolfmight@2 April 2003 - 20:25
    Lord of the Rings. Medevil and Magic fan here
    @Wolfmight:
    Is that your artwork (your sig)
    If so, its pretty good B)

Star wars is timeless, it will live in my heart forever!
    But, there's a new kid in town and his name is Peter Jackson B)

7. Movies & TV   -   #17
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    (my FU#$%@ connection&#33
    Whats up with this site today?!@

8. Movies & TV   -   #18
    Poster
    theyre both shit

fuck Derby County

9. Movies & TV   -   #19
    SuperJude™'s Avatar IRC Interloper
    Sorry LotR fans, if we were to put even the first 2 installments of LotR up against Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back there is no comparison. While LotR is one of the best things to happen to movies in a while (well since Matrix anyway) Star Wars and Empire truly went places we have never seen before.

Both seem to draw heavilly upon the Arthurian Mythos of course, but in that sense, Star Wars was truly original and changed the way we see movies, while LotR is a culmination of that opening.

Plus, I saw the NYC premiere of Star Wars when I was a kid and nothing can compare to that energy I felt from the adults, even while watching the premiere of LotR. Just not the same.

-SJ™
    "We Love You SuperJude!"- the fans

10. Movies & TV   -   #20
    Originally posted by kooky_kramer@3 April 2003 - 04:11
    LOTR is way better than Star Wars. The above is right George Lucas has sold out and the last two attempts at Star Wars were terrible compared to 4,5,6
    of course right Loter is better then Star Wars....
    u can't even compare between them

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast