Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If it ain't broke, DON'T fix it

Sick

Please people, as a longtime emule user, I see this modding as an affront to one of the most well developed OPEN SOURCE file sharing clients I've ever used. I am in no sense a "noob" or a "fanboy", just a VERY experienced Network Engineer, with time and bandwidth to burn. I have been using emule for a year and a half, and have tried 4 mods, 9 different programs, and have always come back. I always get 140-160 KB/s (thats kilo BYTE not BIT) as a rule after 4-6 hours uptime, and never crash. This is very obviously the lions share of my 1.5 Mb/s connection (thats mega BIT not BYTE). It's at least 90 percent utilisation most of the time. Why all this talk of faster clients? Do you get a "free magical super happy noob bandwidth booster" free with every mod? I thought not. If you are getting better speeds up or down with anything, it is only because you are too ignorant to properly configure your emule client. PLEASE people, stop this crazy mod bandwagon. It ain't broke, so leave it the hell alone, and learn how to configure your mule properly!!! Leechin bastards...
    Last edited by Kid Kinedik; 02-08-2005 at 08:57 PM.

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Harsh!'s Avatar n00b
    the official version is gay
    End of story

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Man, that's harsh. Can you expound on some reasons why I should switch clients, and to which it is that you think I should switch? And being a Kiwi, I think you should leave the sex-orientation comments to the sheep farmers they belong with...
    Last edited by Kid Kinedik; 02-08-2005 at 09:12 PM.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Harsh!'s Avatar n00b
    hahahaha...

Im not trying to convert you to switch to anything, if your current client is working well for you Id advise against switching....

Baaaaa!!!!! <-----(Sheep sound)
    Last edited by Harsh!; 02-08-2005 at 09:25 PM.

5. File Sharing   -   #5

Laugh

Actually.... Do you know of any specific clients that allow faster que progression and/or shorter que lengths? I would like to not have to wait 4-6 hours to actually hit 160 KB/s. If you know of any clients that could provide aggregated ques or something of this nature, I would love to try them. As for Nortons, I am one of those really anal home pc users (not so much on the network at work) who has to have every avenue of protection available to me. I check for windows & systemworks updates twice daily, and always apply XP (non server) updates blindly. This goes for the one button checkup as well. On the other hand, I have an incredibly fast, stable and secure computer, which is not bloated at all. (2 GB DDR2 533 OCZ, 480 GB Seagate SATA Raid 0+1 (120x4) 3.4 P4) Pretty hard to bloat that?

6. File Sharing   -   #6

Heart

And hey there, didn't you link to the cunty thing over in the other thread? Nice release, im on it now, but hey, isn't that the pot calling the kettle black? A kiwi in sheeps clothing? teehee

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    uNz[i]'s Avatar Out of order
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Kinedik
    Please people, as a longtime emule user, I see this modding as an affront to one of the most well developed OPEN SOURCE file sharing clients I've ever used. I am in no sense a "noob" or a "fanboy", just a VERY experienced Network Engineer, with time and bandwidth to burn. I have been using emule for a year and a half, and have tried 4 mods, 9 different programs, and have always come back. I always get 140-160 KB/s (thats kilo BYTE not BIT) as a rule after 4-6 hours uptime, and never crash. This is very obviously the lions share of my 1.5 Mb/s connection (thats mega BIT not BYTE). It's at least 90 percent utilisation most of the time. Why all this talk of faster clients? Do you get a "free magical super happy noob bandwidth booster" free with every mod? I thought not. If you are getting better speeds up or down with anything, it is only because you are too ignorant to properly configure your emule client. PLEASE people, stop this crazy mod bandwagon. It ain't broke, so leave it the hell alone, and learn how to configure your mule properly!!! Leechin bastards...
    Are you serious? You might as well walk onto an active firing range with a target painted on your face and wearing a 'GUNS R GAY!' Tshirt...

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Guillaume's Avatar Kentish old lady BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    Quote Originally Posted by uNz[i]
    Are you serious? You might as well walk onto an active firing range with a target painted on your face and wearing a 'GUNS R GAY!' Tshirt...

Wow, I nominate you for the "Analogy of the year" award.

9. File Sharing   -   #9

Dry

I would just like to know what an alternative client has to offer when I already use all my available bandwidth? I haven't got cable available to me in the regional area I live in , so 1.5 DSL is the fastest domestic connection here in Oz, barring cable . If I am persistently filling 170 KB/s of my pipe , then why switch... Just... If it ain't broke... Don't fix it...
    Always be prepared to sacrifice what you are for what you may become.

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    emule is teh suck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast