Thread: Solaris 10

I heard that you can download this software for free. I have registered and now when downloading do i download all 5 segments. Do i download all of them and then once downloaded how do i install all of it e.g. burn it onto a dvd cos there are five parts. Also is this the one which contains the emacs editor.

Cheers
    Last edited by Flametongue; 02-11-2005 at 02:34 PM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    It says once you download the files you should use mdsum check to check that they have not been corrupted. Where do i get this. also it says

For Windows:
    To concatenate the files, type copy /b file1 + file2 [+ fileN] file at command prompt (file1 through fileN are the images that were downloaded. All files should be concatenated into a single file named:
    "sol-10-GA-x86-dvd.iso" for x86, or
    "sol-10-GA-sp-dvd.iso" for SPARC

so in command prompt would i type copy /b file1 + file2 + file3 + file4 + file5 + fileN

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    i would also make sure you are downloading sol-10-GA-x86-dvd.iso unless you have a sparc processor laying about.

emacs probably does not come with sun but it should be easy to install. you could also try xemacs for windows

http://gnuwin.epfl.ch/apps/xemacs/en/index.html

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    btw you dont need to unintall windows xp to run solaris 10 do you?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    lol you might be able to dual boot solaris with xp but im just curious as to why you picked solaris?

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    in uni we have windows and they run solaris 9. we use it with a program called exceed to use emacs to do programming and stuff. I am trying to do the same so i have the software at home.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Flametongue
    in uni we have windows and they run solaris 9.we use it with a program called exceed to use emacs to do programming and stuff. I am trying to do the same so i have the software at home.
    If you only have one machine your gonna either have to install solaris onto its own partition and dual boot between xp and solaris as you need or try using something like vmware or virtualpc from inside windows to run solaris.

I would check through their websites to see which operating systems are supported first before you decided to go the latter route.