Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer Problems

kooky_kramer's Avatar Poster
    i have the following system AMD Athlon 1.2 Ghz, Soltek M/b, 256 Mb SD RAM, 2 x 40 gig HDD (one maxtor and one seagate barra), soundblaster SC and a Motorola modem. I had been running this sytem for about a year with Win 98 and no problems. Yet i got a new case, did a fresh reformat and installed Win XP Pro. It worked fine for 2 days then all of a sudden just fucked up. It locked up while shutting down, so i just hit restart and this is when the problem started. It won't turn on when hitting the power button the moniter flicks out of standby for a sec then turns off, there is some activity but i assume this is only the fans, and this is as far as i have gotten. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    i forgot to mention that it has a 32 Mb 3D Prophet IIMX, i have tried different moniters and also had the power supply tested still no fix.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Just a surmise. Maybe an ESD prob when switching cases fried your mb or some component. Tried clearing the jumpers? Sorry thats all I can scratch up right now. Please post any more info here. Or if you solve let us know the solution. Good luck.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    BANNED
    it's had to realy say with problems like this, it's more of a hands on job

1 u could tri clearin the comos
    2 if u have system bios chacheable enabled and a program writes to that memory can cause a fatal error

it could also b that soltek board.. good for overclocking but un stable.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Ex-member
    I have experienced similar problems before and found the problem to be faulty RAM.

Try replacing the RAM stick with one you know to be working and see if that helps.

If it works with the other RAM, you'll know what's wrong.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    are you getting any POST beep codes ?. I have had an xperience similar to this and as mentioned above it turned out to be faulty ram. the ESD explanation is also a strong possibility. but ensure all power and data ribbon connections are secure and the right way round....

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    are u sure itz not the monitor now... my cousin had that error... he replaced his whole com since he wasn't sure what the error was.... i doubt its the ram... maybe the mother board fried?!?!?!

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    thanks for your replies. I tried the motherboard with a 1 Ghz chip and it booted up ok. I have tried 3 different moniters. I'll check the RAM today and get back to you

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    c i told u it was the motherboard.. wait u changed chipset?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    i have given up. Im buying a new one AMD 2200XP with a Gigabyte 7VAXP Ultra mobo. Any thoughts ??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast