Thread: Pop hard drivein freezer to fix data???

DDRFREAK1030's Avatar DDR PRO xD
    http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlot...0894598.htm?1c

read this

[COMPUTERS DR. BOMBAY
    Trip to freezer might fix drive

Q. When your hard drive goes bad, is it possible to put it in a freezer for a few hours and be able to recover your data?

OK, I know my regular readers will already be laughing their heads off, waiting for me to rip into this stooge for asking such an obviously loony question. Well, go ahead. Have your fun at this poor guy's expense. I want no part of it.

Why? Because this particular stooge has it right. One of the scariest things you'll ever hear is the telltale whirring and clicking of a cratered hard drive. Your system won't boot, all your documents are gone, and never again will you see all those pictures of Hilary Duff you downloaded when your wife was at the dentist. If you're really, really desperate to get those pics back, it's time to throw the Hail Mary and clear some room in the freezer.

Like all electronics and mechanical gear, hard drives are susceptible to overheating. When they get to the point of no return, what normally would have been a regular operating temperature may no longer be tolerable. Time to chill out.

Pop the top on your computer and find the hard drive. Unplug the wide data cable and the smaller power connector. Remove any screws holding the drive in the computer and slide it out.

Did I forget to mention that you should not only turn the computer off but unplug it as well? And that you should wait a minute for any remaining juice in the motherboard's components to drain away? Or that you should wear one of those grounding-strap things on your wrist and clip the other end to the chassis?

Oops. I never remember to tell you those things. Hope you didn't kill your computer already.

Now rummage through the cupboard for a couple of Ziploc bags. The quart size will probably work for most drives. Double-bag the drive before you stick it in the freezer. Hard drives react badly to wet stuff, you know, plus this method will reduce condensation when you pull it out and try to fire it up again.

Leave it in the freezer at least eight hours.

In the cart-before-the-horse department, you should already have had your old drive replaced (or done it yourself), and Windows should be up and running, because next you're going to pull that drive-sicle out and install it as a secondary drive.

Look, there's every chance that the old drive could fire up like everything was normal after you simply put it back in place. But it went bad once, and it will go bad again. This freezer deal is a temporary fix. If you can install it as a secondary, there's a pretty good chance it'll come up long enough to copy your data files to the new drive. Don't try to copy program files, though. You're just going to have to reinstall those on the new drive.
    is it a joke or not?

i found this while searching for info on hard drives...
    Last edited by DDRFREAK1030; 02-14-2005 at 08:28 PM. Reason: added quote

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    lynx's Avatar .
    You'll have to post the quote, that site requires registration.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    i read something about putting a harddrive into a freezer to fix it/restore data or something like that on Neowin.Net, but when i asked if it's true + how it works they didn't reply.
    Last edited by tesco; 02-14-2005 at 07:26 PM.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    DDRFREAK1030's Avatar DDR PRO xD
    I Edited The 1st Post

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    lynx's Avatar .
    There's a chance that it could be right, and if the drive is stuffed anyway what's the harm? You would have to act quickly though, they heat up very rapidly.

I would never try it on a good drive though, if it wasn't broken before freezing it probably will be afterwards.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    That sounds cool.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    I 'v tryed it it does work . But only as a last resort . Eg: When you just have to have that data . I hooked up as a slave and transfered my data to a good drive.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Harsh!'s Avatar n00b
    Ive got a PDF book thats called "200 Ways To Revive A Fcuked HDD"
    The freezer one is in there...lol
    As well as some far out theorys and ways to recover a HDD...lol