View Poll Results: The First _______ President of the United States?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Enlightenment

7 46.67%
  • Regression

4 26.67%
  • Something Else Entirely (Please Explain)

4 26.67%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The First _______ President of the United States?

Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    Various voting blocs/interest groups/constituencies await with 'bated breath the election of the first black, hispanic, and/or female President.

Although a truly color- and gender-blind society should not get overly excited about such an eventuality, in light of reality, I pose the following question:

If the first such example(s) evince a conservative rather than a liberal ideology, would this signal enlightenment or regression?

Something else, perhaps?

Please expand on your answer.
    It wouldn't signal shit because the question would be "what particular candidate".

I leave symbols for the symbol-minded.

Keep in mind that a conservative black winning doesn't surprise me.
    It would be demographics.

Conservatives may vote for him because he's conservative.
    Blacks because he's black.....and that fact isn't lost with conservatives.

Colin Powell might have won by a landslide.

Politicians and parties push for certain candidates or appointments based on
    their similar views AND their race.
    It's like their way of saying, "see, hispanics are ok with us."

However, I think it's pure genius to surround yourself with "like-minded" minorities. It's about appearance and vote getting.

btw I think anyone is an Uncle Tom if they benefited from certain liberal policies and then turn on those policies after they get their powerful positions.

It's easy to talk shit to folks in the gutter when you're at the top of the mountain.
    Last edited by Busyman; 02-15-2005 at 11:56 AM.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

2. Lounge   -   #12
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Might Colin Powell not also have won because he would have clearly been the most able, electable and moderately middle ground candidate (by a terrifyingly long way)?
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

3. Lounge   -   #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles
    Might Colin Powell not also have won because he would have clearly been the most able, electable and moderately middle ground candidate (by a terrifyingly long way)?
    Yes indeed.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

4. Lounge   -   #14
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    It's easy to talk shit to folks in the gutter when you're at the top of the mountain.
    B-

I think we are, more-or-less, in agreement; I have a question regarding your last, however.

Who's talking shit, and who is in the gutter?

I am taking pains not to be mistaken, here.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. Lounge   -   #15
    B-

I think we are, more-or-less, in agreement; I have a question regarding your last, however.

Who's talking shit, and who is in the gutter?

I am taking pains not to be mistaken, here.
    A person that benefited from affirmative action but then disagrees with it later is talking shit.

Gutter is obviously a figure of speech. You've got the person trying make it through the "good ole boy network", which I am personally well aware of even in my 30's, and can't seem to break through.

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

6. Lounge   -   #16
    A person that benefited from affirmative action but then disagrees with it later is talking shit.

Gutter is obviously a figure of speech. You've got the person trying make it through the "good ole boy network", which I am personally well aware of even in my 30's, and can't seem to break through.
    I understand your point.

I must also state I've been victimized by a "Good-Ole-Boy" network myself, and more than once, at that.

One time was in Atlanta; I was trying to get a foot in the door of the auto-parts biz, and the network was equal parts black and white.

I certainly won't deny that they exist (in any and all incarnations), but I would, of course, shy from assigning any inherent blame to racism, because to do so would be unfair, and smack of (dare I say it?) profiling.

Strictly from the standpoint of equality, you see.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

7. Lounge   -   #17
    I understand your point.

I must also state I've been victimized by a "Good-Ole-Boy" network myself, and more than once, at that.

One time was in Atlanta; I was trying to get a foot in the door of the auto-parts biz, and the network was equal parts black and white.

I certainly won't deny that they exist (in any and all incarnations), but I would, of course, shy from assigning any inherent blame to racism, because to do so would be unfair, and smack of (dare I say it?) profiling.

Strictly from the standpoint of equality, you see.
    It's a shame that at my young age that I've bared witness to racism. Most of the younger fellas I talk to have never had this problem but wait.........

You were not a victim of the "Good Ole Boy" network then if it wasn't racism.

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

8. Lounge   -   #18
    You were not a victim of the "Good Ole Boy" network then if it wasn't racism.
    Really?

If, by saying that, you proffer that whites and blacks cannot collude, or that blacks alone are incapable of same, or that Atlanta is immune from "Good Ole Boy" syndrome, or that to refuse to denounce such activities as racist is tantamount to some lack of perception, then I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree, B.

Nevertheless, I wish you hadn't had your experience, just as I wish I hadn't had mine.

-Mark Twain

9. Lounge   -   #19
    Really?

If, by saying that, you proffer that whites and blacks cannot collude, or that blacks alone are incapable of same, or that Atlanta is immune from "Good Ole Boy" syndrome, or that to refuse to denounce such activities as racist is tantamount to some lack of perception, then I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree, B.

Nevertheless, I wish you hadn't had your experience, just as I wish I hadn't had mine.
    No j. To put it simply, the The Good Ole Boy network refers specifically to discrimination by whites against blacks.

I know it's all discrimination whether age, race, culture, blahblahblah. Blacks weren't referred to as Good Ole Boys so their network wasn't either. Neither is Good Ole Boy network simply collusion between folks because you may have pissed them off.

Yes really.
    Last edited by Busyman; 02-16-2005 at 05:39 AM.

---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

10. Lounge   -   #20
    No j. To put it simply, the The Good Ole Boy network refers specifically to discrimination by whites against blacks.

I know it's all discrimination whether age, race, culture, blahblahblah. Blacks weren't referred to as Good Ole Boys so their network wasn't either. Neither is Good Ole Boy network simply collusion between folks because you may have pissed them off.

Yes really.
    Then I have some news for you:

Bill Clinton, the first black President, was, in fact, a good-ole-boy, and he could network like a sumbitch.

BTW-I'm sticking to my guns on this one, but it won't be the first time we've disagreed over factual info, so...

-Mark Twain

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast