View Poll Results: The First _______ President of the United States?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Enlightenment

7 46.67%
  • Regression

4 26.67%
  • Something Else Entirely (Please Explain)

4 26.67%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The First _______ President of the United States?

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Various voting blocs/interest groups/constituencies await with 'bated breath the election of the first black, hispanic, and/or female President.

Although a truly color- and gender-blind society should not get overly excited about such an eventuality, in light of reality, I pose the following question:

If the first such example(s) evince a conservative rather than a liberal ideology, would this signal enlightenment or regression?

Something else, perhaps?

Please expand on your answer.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. Lounge   -   #2
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    I went for regression purely on the Mrs Thatcher experience.

However, I suspect it need not be so.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

3. Lounge   -   #3
    Revolution

4. Lounge   -   #4
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    I guess it means that conservatives also can learn to tolerate minorities and changes in society.

Otherwise such a candidate wouldn't have any support.
    Last edited by Snee; 02-14-2005 at 09:17 PM.

5. Lounge   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by SnnY
    I guess it means that conservatives also can learn to tolerate minorities and changes in society.

Otherwise such a candidate wouldn't have any support.
    A point I've tried to make more than once.

It has been the case that people of color-witness Condi Rice, Colin Powell and Clarence Thomas-are referred to as Aunt Jemimas or Uncle Toms because they are conservative/Republican.

Nevertheless, they fill their positions admirably.

What does it credit the commentators and pundits to denegrate them so?

They are black, and they are breaking new ground; Alberto Gonzales was just today sworn in as our first Hispanic Attorney General-should he be marginalized by virtue of his race?

Some would have us think so.

SnnY-

As to your assertion that conservatives can "learn" to tolerate minorities, please be apprised that the United States Civil Rights Act enacted in the '60s passed with a higher percentage of Republicans voting in favor than Democrats, and by a considerable margin.

Just one of the historical facts that liberals seek to obscure.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

6. Lounge   -   #6
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    I shall not vote in this J2 because I find it hard to understand that our society in the year 2005 still has an underlying train of thought that would even consider the question needs to be asked. Therefore I can't answer the question.

This is not a poke at you or anyone...it is just that I really can't understand how anyone comes to even notice such things as sex or race when making a judgement on the value of the person
    Last edited by vidcc; 02-15-2005 at 12:33 AM.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

7. Lounge   -   #7
    ahctlucabbuS's Avatar <
    I agree with vidcc,

Though something I'm not proud of, the word 'bitch' have often entered my mind when I'm reminded of Rice; the fact that she's black however, has not.

8. Lounge   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Barky
    I agree with vidcc,

Though something I'm not proud of, the word 'bitch' have often entered my mind when I'm reminded of Rice; the fact that she's black however, has not.
    Ah.

Regrettfully, I must report a similar feeling of chagrin when I am reminded of Hillary Clinton; however, when this happens, I assuage the pang of guilt by remembering that it is true.

What word, if any, springs to mind when I say Janet Reno?

For me, the word is incompetence.

In any case, I thought I disposed of your objection to the extent necessary or possible by the disclaimer in my original post.

If you do not feel you can reply, even given my stipulation, then, please....don't.

-Mark Twain

9. Lounge   -   #9
    orcutt989's Avatar Blargh
    Enlightenment!

10. Lounge   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by orcutt989
    Enlightenment!

-Mark Twain

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast