Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Place your bets.......

manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx
    That's a good idea, get manker's job.
    Hoi! There's only room for one lazy, idle good for nowt junior teamaking bank clerk's assistant in t'UK
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

2. Lounge   -   #22
    Guillaume's Avatar Kentish old lady BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    [/waits for action, eating pop corn]

3. Lounge   -   #23
    Tweedy old crow
    Well.. let's be honest here without dragging in the words racism and hypocrisy...

It is getting a wee bit of a problem. Anyone who's ever been to Alisson Street and Cathcart Road in Glasgow (Shawlands) knows what it looks like. Although very charming, and great to shop because of all the exotic varieties it is almost impossible to do business there if you're white...

4. Lounge   -   #24
    TheDave's Avatar n00b
    what do you mean by do business?

5. Lounge   -   #25
    Tweedy old crow
    Open a business, get a contract,etc...

6. Lounge   -   #26
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by Skweeky1
    Well.. let's be honest here without dragging in the words racism and hypocrisy...

It is getting a wee bit of a problem. Anyone who's ever been to Alisson Street and Cathcart Road in Glasgow (Shawlands) knows what it looks like. Although very charming, and great to shop because of all the exotic varieties it is almost impossible to do business there if you're white...
    I don't know about that.

In my job - see above - I have to deal with a lot of different races and sure, each has it's own peculiarities. I'm talking of different areas too, not just disticint races. You need to understand their requirements before you can properly do business with them. If you're willing to research what these particular nuances are then you'll reap the rewards.

If you're not willing to find out what they require from you then you'll likely be passed over for someone that has done their homework. Obviously, no matter where people are from, they all want the same thing - to make some money. It's a case of tapping into that, rather than it being a case of 'it being impossible to do business there if you're white'.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

7. Lounge   -   #27
    TheDave's Avatar n00b
    you reckon they wont let you open a business if you're white?

8. Lounge   -   #28
    Tweedy old crow
    Right...

manker... you're a bank clerk, which is just a wee bit different from a sales job.
    What Jonno says it's true. People like to keep their business in the family, or at least within a circle of people they know.
    It's not about the fact that they're Indian or Pakistani or whatever. It's about the fact that it is a mini-community, almost impossible to penetrate. It's not like you can blame them, we've done the same thing to them for ages. It's just a shame. Both groups could benefit immensely from some cooperation, but at the moment there isn't any.

Edit:
    To clarify, I, and other people in my company have loads of other contracts with Indians or Pakistani. So I think that we know by now what kind of things they require. When bringing up the issue mentioned above, most of them agree that at this point of time there is a certain sense of intollerance within those communities.
    Last edited by Skweeky1; 02-15-2005 at 02:31 PM.

9. Lounge   -   #29
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by Skweeky1
    Right...

manker... you're a bank clerk, which is just a wee bit different from a sales job.
    What Jonno says it's true. People like to keep their business in the family, or at least within a circle of people they know.
    It's not about the fact that they're Indian or Pakistani or whatever. It's about the fact that it is a mini-community, almost impossible to penetrate. It's not like you can blame them, we've done the same thing to them for ages. It's just a shame. Both groups could benefit immensely from some cooperation, but at the moment there isn't any.
    I'm not a bank clerk, I was joking.

What I wrote is correct, non-white people want to make money too. You have to devise a way to help them understand that your company can assist them in doing that. So you meet some initial barriers, overcome them.

That's all there is to it. The ethnic communities in Glasgow are no different to the ones around where I live.

10. Lounge   -   #30
    Tweedy old crow
    See above

Debates like this always end up in nothing by the way.
    There's a different between not being racist and being too blind to recognise a problem.
    What most people don't seem to get... if you are not willing to admit there is a problem with the other party as well. You're just as bad as those people who blame everything on someone else, only you're doing the opposite.

It is a fact that there is an immigration problem. Not only in Britain, also in Belgium, the Netherlands etc... And we're not getting any further in solving it just because anyone who speaks up and dares to say something negative gets shot down immediately.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast