Thread: new wireless router

Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    my current wireless router is the ebuyer extra value router made by origo,
    but seems to be getting bogged down by emule, so im going to get a new router.
    but im not sure who to go for, im currently leaning towards netgear, but not sure if there are any better ones.
    my current setup is a wireless b setup, with 3 laptops, 2 with pcmcia card and one with a usb adapter.
    also would it be better to get a g setup over a b setup, or not much difference, also will getting new networks cards give better performance aswell.

edit: ps im in the uk
    Last edited by Livy; 02-15-2005 at 08:41 PM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    It seems that if your network is being bogged down when using emule, then stop using it.

I mean, a new router may not completely solve your problem. Depending on what speeds your ISP actually provides you with and not to mention possibly splitting up that bandwidth over as many computers. This, in effect, renders "high end" wireless routers worthless.

Anyways, get the 802.11g version of whatever brand you get as it is the most current wireless standard.

regards,

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    im on 1mb broadband, this happens with a couple of minutes of running emule the connection drops down to lowid even though i just connected to the server with a high id. happens when there is just the one computer on.

im currently looking at the netgear mr814 which seems to be going for £25-30 on ebay
    or the g version wgr614 seems to be about £35-40
    Last edited by Livy; 02-16-2005 at 12:35 PM.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    vivitron 15's Avatar Poster
    i know that this is a problem with my router (netgear DG814) basically, it cant handle the number of connections (more than 15 methinks) which can mess up downloads, though BT is usually ok, as long as people have good speeds

Anyway, to be sure, i would google the name of any of the routers youre looking at, to see if there are any common problems with them. Maybe try googling "Netgear DG814 firmware forum", as then if there is a forum of people moaning about needing new firmware to solve any problems, you will find out about it
    <insert signature here>

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Livy's Avatar Simpleton
    will do, when i had a wired network i had a linksys befsr41 and it was great never had problems like this, would go with them but a bit dearer and dont like the look of there wireless products.