Thread: Codecs, The Real Deal!?!

Using XP

i have downloaded the kazaa full codec set, the latest version. but..

Still Windows Media Player will once in a while want to d/l a codec. Is it safe to install Kazaa Codecs with others or will there be a point where its starts conflicting?

Once installed do other programs kazaa, media player, ulead dvd movie factory etc, automatically find a codec even if its under a "kazaa" folder?

Burning VCD's using nero caused them to play inside out as mentioned on other posts, this is a codec problem. Is there an ideal package to view and burn movies? Ulead DVD movie factory does a good job, but still I have had one go inside out.. but still MUCH better than nero cause you can design your own menu's.

EVERYONE wants real answers to this.

I feel I put up the REAL questions.

as it feels like a balancing act to get it all running smoothly.

2. Movies & TV   -   #2
    I've found that media player 9 will sometimes delete codecs and try to download a new one but it tells me the codec i need is not available. (XVID particularly). i went back to media player 8.

3. Movies & TV   -   #3
    um...

april fool's day was two days ago.

windows media player will not replace your codecs. i haven't looked at the kazaa codec pack, but i imagine that with any "get everything in one stop" package, you should only install the things you know you need. it is possible to create conflicts by installing too many codecs, so... just install the bare minimum that you need in order to view and encode files.

why would kazaa find codecs? as far as i know, kazaa's built-in previewer only plays mpeg-1 and mp3 files (and maybe windows media and wav), which are supported natively by windows.

inside out???? ? ? ? ? ?

if ulead movie factory supports the codecs, it should have no problem "finding" them because the windows registry associates the codecs with their file types so that all programs are directed to the proper codec when they attempt to encode/decode a file.

why does everyone wants "real answers"? i am not understanding your point.

4. Movies & TV   -   #4
    Forum Star
    From what I have read is that a lot of people have problems with WMP9.

Codecs are not replaced or anything like that. When no codec is available for a certain movie type, WMP tries to download a codec, usually without succes.

5. Movies & TV   -   #5
    Xvid is aproblem..full stop...

6. Movies & TV   -   #6
    Originally posted by Paul@3 April 2003 - 14:04

Codecs are not replaced or anything like that. When no codec is available for a certain movie type, WMP tries to download a codec, usually without succes.
    Will there be a fix for this in the new version?

7. Movies & TV   -   #7
    Originally posted by randm01@4 April 2003 - 22:58
    Xvid is aproblem..full stop...
    on one hand, i want to agree...

... on the other hand, i don't.

unfortunately there is a problem with XviD being unpredictable, as far as which codec release will work reliably on a specific PC.

but i must admit, when it works correctly, XviD has great image quality and it handles both low motion and fast motion scenes very well.

8. Movies & TV   -   #8
    Forum Star
    Originally posted by ryanraab+7 April 2003 - 01:02--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ryanraab @ 7 April 2003 - 01:02)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Paul@3 April 2003 - 14:04

Will there be a fix for this in the new version? [/b][/quote]
    The bug is in WMP. I can&#39;t fix that

9. Movies & TV   -   #9
    its possible that you don&#39;t have the codec? use gspot codec information appliance to check whether you have the codec or not...

im using WMP9 and kazaa codec pack, never had a problem with codecs being deleted or overwritten.