Thread: Lost files

Any one know of some software that will retrive files that have been removed of media cards or a hard drive

I have heard that when you delete files of your hard drive or media cards it dose not actualy wipe them from the card just alters the file and then when you add new files it just over writes them the only time they are compleatly whiped is when you do a forrmat so they should still be there somewhere.

The reason i am asking is my son transfferd his school picture onto my external hard drive because i had to reformatt the main hard drive on my computer becuse of a virus attack.
    But when he went to reload them back onto the main comp from external hard drive they had gone.

Can anyone help me, i saw some software for sale on the shopping channel QVC but cant remember what it was called and that allowed you to get your files back

My son is gutted as these pic's are from when he was at school and can't replace them

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Harsh!'s Avatar n00b
    There are a few different programs to get your data back...
    I personally dont use or know any to recommend but dont put any more data back on the HDD that had the photos on. You may overwrite the the part of the Hard-disk where the photos were allocated to and then youll not be able to retrieve them..

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    dudevenezuela's Avatar VIP
    I used 1 progam called RESTORATION to recover my music folder but like 20% of the MP3's came out corrupted and all messed up

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    I use TuneUp Utilities and it has some feature that can do that but have never had to use it.
    Im sure though there must be some decent Freeware out there that can do this.
    Try this perahaps...
    http://www.webattack.com/Freeware/sy...recovery.shtml
    Last edited by RealitY; 02-19-2005 at 11:58 PM.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    keyser_soze's Avatar Poster
    the only time they are compleatly whiped is when you do a forrmat
    A lot of ppl believe this although I'm sure Gary glitter will tell you its not true The file will be still on the hd after a format as long as the cluster where the file was at was not wrote over during the format process, I've tried a few different things but the 1 that seemed to work the best I can't think of the name but if it comes back I'll let you know, I would say try some real paid for software rather than free stuff as these don't seem to find much really in my experiance.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Most free ,or shareware file recovery programs suck. The ones that actually work find them, and want you pay. Chech this one .

http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/UK/welcome.htm