Thread: Non Responsive CD-RW Drive

Recently, I reformatted my hard drive. By my hard drive, I mean the hard drive that my brother left behind for as he has moved onto bigger and better computers. I installed all the drivers he left, and everything has been working peachy if a little slower than before the reformatting. The biggest problem is that my CD-RW drive* doesnt always co-operate. The few times I have tried to burn a music CD it has failed. Never had this problem before. When I put a CD in to play a game that requires the disk at start, it often doesnt recognize that I put in a CD and keeps telling me to put it in. Sometimes, like right now, the drive won't even open if I push the button. I ca still use the CD in there, and my computer says there's a drive, but it doesnt open, if I push the really tiny button that requires a pen.

I can't find any drivers that it might need, the hardware thing for Windows says it is alright and working properly, but I suspect otherwise. Any help would be vastly appreciated.

*An Artec WRR 52x/24x/52x CD-RW

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    silent h3ro's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    Do u have any other CD or DVD drives that work in your pc?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    I've a DVD drive, Samsung DVD-Rom SD612.
    I've never had trouble with that one.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Quote Originally Posted by Dubhguy
    I've a DVD drive, Samsung DVD-Rom SD612.
    I've never had trouble with that one.
    Can you reinstall your burning program ? Or can you try a friends cd-rw ,and see if that works? Its one of those, is it "software or hardware "questions .
    Shit I just reread your post . I see that you have to manually eject the cd . Like with a pen or paper clip? Your cd rom may be hooped ! But try swapping out with one that works first , that way you know for sure.

Edit: What I mean is its so simple to swap out . Unplug power cord , touch the metal case to dischare static . Take the side of your case off
    unplug the ide and power plug from your cd rom. Check jumpers ! Put the test one on a book or box and plug it in . Reboot and Bob's your uncle , youll know right away. Sorry for the long winded repliy but just did the same thing for a bud of mine. last nite .
    Last edited by peat moss; 02-20-2005 at 10:49 AM.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    I did like you said, popped out the CD Drive and put in an older one. After putzing around with the cables for a while, I got my trusty old Atapi CDRW 40/12 in and running, and it seems to be working. Even though it's slower than my other one, I think I'll just stay with this one. This one works marvelously. Thanks for the advice guys.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Quote Originally Posted by Dubhguy
    I did like you said, popped out the CD Drive and put in an older one. After putzing around with the cables for a while, I got my trusty old Atapi CDRW 40/12 in and running, and it seems to be working. Even though it's slower than my other one, I think I'll just stay with this one. This one works marvelously. Thanks for the advice guys.

Oh good glad its fixed . I love this comment : After putzing around with the cables for a while.

Been there done that ! Its like take a picture or draw a diagram first .