View Poll Results: Read 1st post first (Painkillers during child birth?)

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - why suffer

3 15.79%
  • No -it is unhealthy, unatural & affects the child

2 10.53%
  • Yes if it hurts too much

3 15.79%
  • Doesn't make a difference

0 0%
  • anywhich way as long as the mother & child come out ok

10 52.63%
  • other

1 5.26%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Painkillers during child birth?

100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    They say that giving anaesthics (painkillers) to the mother during birth will harm the child.
    There is the option to say no or clinics where child birth is handled in a more natural way.
    (if the situation gets too extreme -the hospital is aware)
    I have no experience in childbirth but its seems most people opt for painkillers, yet have never met anyone who has.
    Maybe some of you who have been through this process have any tips.

2. Lounge   -   #2
    DarthInsinuate's Avatar Died in battle
    anywhich way as long as the mother & child come out ok, just get it over with
    The Sexay Half Of ABBA And Max: Freelance Plants

3. Lounge   -   #3
    ruthie's Avatar Poster
    Well, I've done both. when I had my first baby, I refused painkillers, til there was a problem. I was in heavy labor for a LONG time, and she was face up. the doctor tried to turn her DURING contractions. I kicked him in the stomach. They were thinking they maybe needed to do a C-section, at which point I agreed to painkillers so they could actually touch me.
    my second baby was born at home, with a midwife. No painkillers there, though I think I made my friend half death from screaming. LOL.
    No judgement on either approach.
    Don't read what isn't there.

anywhichway

4. Lounge   -   #4
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    thankyou Ruthie (didn't know you where a lady), my girlfriend wants to do it in a different clinic which doesn't do anasthetics - because it is more personal and she says that in the hospital you will get different doctors changing shifts and student doctors looking in. Her main concern is that painkillers may hurt the baby. I support whatever she wants, also knowing that if there is a problem the hospital is almost across the hallway so you might end up getting the best of both worlds.
    Last edited by 100%; 02-21-2005 at 09:20 AM.

5. Lounge   -   #5
    cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    No

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

6. Lounge   -   #6
    ruthie's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by 15%
    thankyou Ruthie (didn't know you where a lady), my girlfriend wants to do it in a different clinic which doesn't do anasthetics - because it is more personal and she says that in the hospital you will get different doctors changing shifts and student doctors looking in. Her main concern is that painkillers may hurt the baby. I support whatever she wants, also knowing that if there is a problem the hospital is almost across the hallway so you might end up getting the best of both worlds.
    Msot hospitals have birthing rooms. they also let midwives do the delivery, and of course there is the benefit of the hospital right there. also, at least when I had my kids, midwives need to have a Dr. they work under. If I did it again (which I won't...my kids are grown), i wouldn't do a home birth, simply because if anything happened, I wouldn't be right at a hospital for medical intervention.
    It's great you support whatever she wants. I hope she knows that when the time comes, if she needs meds, not to feel guilty about it.

anywhichway

7. Lounge   -   #7
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Very often medication can assist in facilitating a quick birth, or so I read in a recent report. Since the birth is quicker and easier and the Mother is less distressed, it's beneficial to the baby, rather than the contrary. A well documented concern is that an epidural can increase the likelyhood of a c-section, this was found not to be the case in the study I recently read.

However, I didn't know this at the time but still, when my girlfriend was in labour last year she was distressed so medication was offered and accepted - it was pethidine, a narcotic. This greatly relaxed her, eased her pains and the baby suffered no detriment.

I would say that pain relief is a definite good thing for expectant mothers to use when required.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

8. Lounge   -   #8
    Harsh!'s Avatar n00b
    I got high as a kite when my daughter was born..
    they gave my mumsy a bottle of gas and left it..
    She didnt use it but me and my mates got high as in the waiting room

9. Lounge   -   #9
    silent h3ro's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    No -it is unhealthy, unatural & affects the child

10. Lounge   -   #10
    ruthie's Avatar Poster
    Well, there were herbs used throughout history to ease labor pains..herbs used as abortants, etc. Women also had babies at 13 years old, women have died in childbirth, etc. so, medicines have positive uses too.
    They can save babies and mothers. I don't push medicine..obviously, given that my son was born at home. I do, however now think it is good to be near a hospital. Had I had a home birth with mydaughter, things would have been iffy at best, given there were problems.
    I also think if the pain is too much, drugs are fine if they don't hurt the baby. If one doesn't need to suffer unbearable pain, and it is safe, there is no reason to. It doesn't make a women more or less of a woman to accecpt or refuse drugs.
    Last edited by ruthie; 02-21-2005 at 06:37 PM.

anywhichway

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast