Thread: Why Are Some Film Sizes Bigger

Why are some films that are the same length different file sizes but are complete.

Most films i download are around 700MB in size but there are a few which are only 150MB but are still about 90mins in length.

Why is this and does it matter whether you choose the bigger size?

2. Movies & TV   -   #2
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    I could be wrong but I think that if you look the resolution(?) will be different. The higher the resolution the bigger the file although the running time will remain the same.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Movies & TV   -   #3
    BANNED
    Most films i download are around 700MB in size but there are a few which are only 150MB but are still about 90mins in length.
    rrr... but r they the same quality...very much unlikly

does that give u answer

4. Movies & TV   -   #4
    Originally posted by CosmoK@3 April 2003 - 16:30
    rrr... but r they the same quality...very much unlikly

does that give u answer
    Yeah your right the quality is much poorer.

Why does the quality affect the size of the file though?

5. Movies & TV   -   #5
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    duh
    Source issues aside, there are different compression schemes used. Smaller file sizes mean more information was removed to make the source file smaller. That makes sense doesn't it? This is why movies that have been compressed using Divx or Xvid are preferred(and larger) due to the simple fact that less information was removed when compressing the original movie file(the original digital movie file can be 6-8 Gb or larger).

Rule of thumb: if the movie file is <200Mb it is of lesser quality, if it is around 700Mb, it is a Divx or Xvid encoded file and will be of a better quality.

6. Movies & TV   -   #6
    SuperJude™'s Avatar IRC Interloper
    Also when some files are only a couple hundred kb&#39;s off they can be the same file just ripped and encoded with seperate programs.

Say for instance you find a 714 and 722 mb file for Blue Velvet, bost may be legit, just ripped with other programs.

Also, if you want higher quality movies try to stay away from 200mb movies, they are usually cams.

-SJ™
    "We Love You SuperJude!"- the fans