Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hunter S. Thompson

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    What is overwhelmed and overlooked due to his penchant for overindulgence is the fact that he was occasionally capable of superb observation; his book on the '72 McGovern campaign is a great example-in and amongst the endless recountings of his pharmaceutical/alcoholic exploits is a unique and spot-on parsing of politics, circa early 1970s.

To be totally honest, I guess I would have to count the reading of it as a seminal event in my political development.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    ahctlucabbuS's Avatar <
    I'll add my respect for the guy in this thread as well.

Rest In Peace,

atleast you go out with a bang.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    dwightfry's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    What is overwhelmed and overlooked due to his penchant for overindulgence is the fact that he was occasionally capable of superb observation; his book on the '72 McGovern campaign is a great example-in and amongst the endless recountings of his pharmaceutical/alcoholic exploits is a unique and spot-on parsing of politics, circa early 1970s.

To be totally honest, I guess I would have to count the reading of it as a seminal event in my political development.
    I've heard some quotes about Nixon and the McGovern election but really don't know much. Me thinks I'll have to do some research.
    Last edited by dwightfry; 02-25-2005 at 03:38 PM.
    Life should come with backround music
    -Dwight Fry-
    Coconut, the desert's onion
    -Dwight Fry-
    Why stand when you can lean, why lean when you can sit, why sit when you can lounge, why lounge when you can lie
    -Dwight Fry-
    www.BrownSugarStudios.com

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    I posted my respects in the other thread (which bizarrely is in Movieworld...) but it is a real shame. I've read both Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and Fear and Loathing: On the Campaign Trail, good books.

It's a vain hope but I'd love to do one of his books for my English degree, we do American literature next year but I doubt he'll be on the syllabuse.
    Last edited by Withcheese; 02-25-2005 at 03:46 PM.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    ahctlucabbuS's Avatar <
    which bizarrely is in Movieworld...
    Yea, I thought about it.

Then again, most people have only watched the film so to reach the masses...

Apparently it didn't do that though, as the people who watched the film may just be ignorant of its origin. Oh well
    Last edited by Barky; 02-25-2005 at 08:33 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12