Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: how much would you charge for this upgrade?

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Personally I would not run XP on a PC that slow, but that's just me and my preference pales in comparison to the disservice you are doing to your customer by providing/installing a flaky OS.

Long after you are done (assuming you get the OS to install successfully to begin with), if your "customer" runs into problems with his machine he will be essentially fucked.
    We see these kinds of machines almost daily ("Oh my computer guru neighbor installed the XP...boy, the price was great, too!") and are forced to make them face the reality of just how bad off they are now.
    No valid Windows PID means no repair/reload of the borked OS for you, pal.

I guess it's fine if this is the way you want to do it (not), but I hope that at the very least the customer knows he has a pirated copy and is on his own in the future.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. Software & Hardware   -   #32
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker
    Personally I would not run XP on a PC that slow, but that's just me and my preference pales in comparison to the disservice you are doing to your customer by providing/installing a flaky OS.

Long after you are done (assuming you get the OS to install successfully to begin with), if your "customer" runs into problems with his machine he will be essentially fucked.
    We see these kinds of machines almost daily ("Oh my computer guru neighbor installed the XP...boy, the price was great, too!") and are forced to make them face the reality of just how bad off they are now.
    No valid Windows PID means no repair/reload of the borked OS for you, pal.

I guess it's fine if this is the way you want to do it (not), but I hope that at the very least the customer knows he has a pirated copy and is on his own in the future.
    there should not be any problems after the install coz im gonna put sp2 on it and change the product key etc and put all the updates on it.
    whats the chances of anything going wrong. most people have got a pirate version of xp on there pc anyway

3. Software & Hardware   -   #33
    Only a small percentage have, most people get a Xp disc with a new store brought pc. Most shops require you to bring in your own XP disc when doing repairs and most if not all refuse to fix a computer if its using a dodgy copy. Chances are he will have a major problem within a year (I'd give him 30 days though as he's using Kazaa) and small problems every few months.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #34
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Peerzy
    Only a small percentage have, most people get a Xp disc with a new store brought pc. Most shops require you to bring in your own XP disc when doing repairs and most if not all refuse to fix a computer if its using a dodgy copy. Chances are he will have a major problem within a year (I'd give him 30 days though as he's using Kazaa) and small problems every few months.
    what are these problems you are talking about. i know someone who's been using a pirated version of xp for at least 3years and he has had no problems......

5. Software & Hardware   -   #35
    Quote Originally Posted by foot loose
    what are these problems you are talking about. i know someone who's been using a pirated version of xp for at least 3years and he has had no problems......
    What happens when the machine gets infected so badly that a wipe/reload is necessary?
    What if you are not available to do the repair?
    A real shop ( and I'm including the one I work in) will NOT work with a pirated version of Windows. Microsoft products are cranky enough when they are legit, much less a version downloaded from a questionable source.

PCs ( even brand new ones) run into software problems all the time.
    Many are used-based (in truth, most of them are) and you need to face the prospect of marrying the machines that you are building if you can't refer them to legitimate dealers.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #36

Yeah what Clocker says and Bill Gates is beefing up the secruity of Windows and stopping anyone with a pirated version from getting updates, basically there waging a war on pirates of XP and your Kazaa version with teh fucked key is gonna be backlisted, meaning no updates, meaning loads of problems, meaning take t shop, meaning shop says no way because of your pirated windows, meaning your fucked.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #37
    Yeah.
    What he said.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #38
    Yeah.
    What he said.

Yuppers. What he said about me saying about him saying, stupid

9. Software & Hardware   -   #39
    Poster
    What happens when the machine gets infected so badly that a wipe/reload is necessary?
    What if you are not available to do the repair?
    A real shop ( and I'm including the one I work in) will NOT work with a pirated version of Windows. Microsoft products are cranky enough when they are legit, much less a version downloaded from a questionable source.

PCs ( even brand new ones) run into software problems all the time.
    Many are used-based (in truth, most of them are) and you need to face the prospect of marrying the machines that you are building if you can't refer them to legitimate dealers.
    yeh i get what you are saying but what is the chance of all that happening?
    and how do you know if it is a pirated version of xp??
    information is power

10. Software & Hardware   -   #40
    yeh i get what you are saying but what is the chance of all that happening?
    and how do you know if it is a pirated version of xp??
    information is power

Because shops have to ask for the XP cd from you if they are doing a reinstall because otherwise they could upgrade you to XP for free. Chances of it happening, within a year very likley, within 6 months, moderatly, within 2 months while using kazaa, 100%.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast