Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LiteOn optical drives.

Izagaia's Avatar Her angel of darkness
    Beyond midnight, near you, in darkness...
    I am thinking of purchasing this product to upgrade my current DVD R/RW capabilities. Roughly $90USD from Walmart. At the moment, I am using an HP DVD Writer400i which is a +R/+RW optical drive that runs at 40x for your traditional CD-R's. I thought at $90 for a drive that supports/writes dual layer discs, it was not a bad deal. However I have heard mixed replies about the "Liteon" brand (which I understand is actually "JVC"). Any thoughts/opinions from users who use liteon products would be appreciated.

http://www.liteonamericas.com/us/DVDRW_1633S.htm

Walmart also sells a Liteon DVD-Rom 52x drive (non-writing) that I am considering also. For $52USD.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Hmmm... I never even thought about purchasing online. Not exactly something that I do that often. And the price looks a helluva lot friendlier. Thanks Virtualbody! Hopefully prices such as that for the drive you suggest do not reflect "models with cosmetic flaws" or "refurbished" models.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    No it's the normal price for that model and it's a good drive. Very popular.

I only posted the link to newegg for reference. Look at local computer stores in your area for that model.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    I wouldn't worry about the brand name so much. (Liteon is probably just a subsiduary of JVC, but that's a different discussion altogether)
    But, buying PC parts at a Walmart is just plain dumb. If you've got a Walmart in your town then surely you've got better choices to pick from.

Anyways, while dual layer DVD burners are the latest and greatest, the price for blank media is very high. More than you may want to spend.

Frankly, unless you are copying a complete DVD, including all the extras, there's just no need for that much room.

So if you want to order online check www.pricewatch.com to find the best deal. Also Google has a search engine for finding the best price...www.froogle.com

peace.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Funny I was talking with a friend at work about cdrw 's I said I liked LG , I think thats Hitachi. Did n't know liteon was JVC .

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    fkdup74's Avatar Pneuberator.
    hell i thought lite-on were their own comapny
    seeing as how they make (some of) the OEM RWers for HP/Compaq
    but i guess nothin is stopping em from rebadging a rebadge
    the cd-r/rw lite-on drive i had was nice & reliable
    im kinda sorry i gave it away
    I am just a worthless liar. I am just an imbecile.
    I will only complicate you. Trust in me and fall as well.
    I will find a center in you. I will chew it up and leave.
    I will work to elevate you just enough to bring you down.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    dude dont buy no electronic shit from walmart cuz its gonna be shit.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    I was reading the the indentification tag/sticker that is placed on the undersides of a Liteon optical drive one day. Sure enough, it had the "JVC" corporate logo in the corner near the serial number.

My current HP DVD Writer displays a "Toshiba" brand moniker on HP's download page for drivers/firmware updates as well as in Nero's "Info Tool" utility. :confused:
    Last edited by Izagaia; 02-24-2005 at 08:03 PM.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    Brand name truly doesn't mean a thing when it comes to PC hardware. (there are some exceptions)

I mean, large corporations do go to other vendors for hardware when putting together machines. (witness above comments) This is due to pricing and/or availability. For example, it may be cheaper for HP to buy from a different company then it would be to procur a comparable piece from their own suppplier and/or company.

Nothing new here. Although, it sounds like a few of you are new to this.

It all started with the Japanese and their business model. (I mean, they started it and now it's very common)
    As their business grows, they would buy their suppliers' companies. (it's been happening for along time) This is why Japanese car manufacturers are so successful. They buy out their suppliers 'till they own the whole supply chain. And now domestic manufacturers do it. But, as I stated before, companies are smart enough to go to outside vendors if it strategically benefits them. Relabeling can occur as well, thus making my case for buying the "brand" an exercise in futility. (i.e. Sony is notorious for doing this)

And, don't get me started on China. Already 25% of all the TVs manufactured (in the world)come out of that country. Why do you think LCD flat screens and DVD players have dropped so much in price over the past 2 years? The Chinese government has been subsidizing new industries at a frantic pace.

Anyways, sorry for my rant but people just don't understand the way things truly are in these types of matters. And, believe me I truly don't care where something is made, as long as it works to my satisfaction.

peace,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast