Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Comp wont boot from cd

bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    Hey..me and mattesca are working on his moms compaq computer. We couldnt find any drivers for the other board so we just bought another one, abit something, and another 512 stick of ram.

We turn it on and it goes pretty slow...then we get to like where it says DMI pool verified or w/e...and it says boot from cd: ...then you know how it comes up with the thing right under that where it says press any key to boot from cd...well it never does that. And just starts going to the windows that is already on the drive.

I am thinking of putting it in another computer and formating it off there and trying.

Any other suggestions?
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Sure. Go into the BIOS an look for boot order. Set it so that the CD drive is before the HDD.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtualbody1234
    Sure. Go into the BIOS an look for boot order. Set it so that the CD drive is before the HDD.
    His post reads like it says it's reading the CD but doesn't offer to start from it.

Try another bootable CD - anything will do - to check it's not just a faulty CD.
    If it still doesn't recognise the disc as bootable, make sure that the IDE cable is in tight, it's the right way round, the drive is on the right plug, and the jumper is set correctly for master/slave operation.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    sparsely's Avatar °¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°
    yeah...i'd say prolly a bad disc.

this post is guaranteed 100% parrot-free

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Could be a faulty CD drive also.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    hmm...well its only detecting one of the two optical drives we have attached, but we have it in the one its detecting. I use the cd all the time and it just worked like the day before...I have also set the boot order to cd first...i will try some of the other suggestions thanks guys
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdawgfoxx
    Hey..me and mattesca are working on his moms compaq computer. We couldnt find any drivers for the other board so we just bought another one, abit something, and another 512 stick of ram.

We turn it on and it goes pretty slow...then we get to like where it says DMI pool verified or w/e...and it says boot from cd: ...then you know how it comes up with the thing right under that where it says press any key to boot from cd...well it never does that. And just starts going to the windows that is already on the drive.

I am thinking of putting it in another computer and formating it off there and trying.

Any other suggestions?
    try taking out the cmos bat off da m-board to reset da bios

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    is the drive hooked up right? like master/slave and the jumper in right position.
    Although i'm sure you've checked that.

You could try removing the drive that's not being detected, or swap the two drives around.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdawgfoxx
    hmm...well its only detecting one of the two optical drives we have attached, but we have it in the one its detecting. I use the cd all the time and it just worked like the day before...I have also set the boot order to cd first...i will try some of the other suggestions thanks guys
    Some drives are picky about master/slave settings (I have an Afreey DVDROM that only works properly as a master with the jumper on CS - go figure LOL!) so try disconnecting the drive that isn't showing in BIOS.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    If all you need to do is install I think there are bootable floppies to dl from MS's page, for xp installs, in case of none bootable cd drives.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast