Thread: Fiber Optc Converter

neevakee's Avatar the bad spelller BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    Hi all, it seems to be forever since I last posted on te board, but I have been busy over the last year, oh well im going to try to be more active, but that is not the point. what i need is something that will take in a duplex gigabit fiber optic connection and spit it out as gigabit ethernet. I want to do this for as cheap as possible. Im considering making a server to do the conversion, but if there is something real cheap out there that can do the same job I would consider that first.
    Last edited by neevakee; 02-26-2005 at 07:32 AM. Reason: miss spelled title

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    lynx's Avatar .
    I doubt if you are going to do that "on the cheap" with either a dedicated device or a server, but I suppose that depends on what you consider cheap.

Here are some sample prices for media converters. Prices seem to be from about $250 upwards, depending on the type of fiber optic network.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    Will we all have to get one of those once fiber optic internet becomes mainstream (if it does)
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    neevakee's Avatar the bad spelller BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    thanks for that. Yeah the dedicated server may seem more expensive, but i think it would be nice to have a lot more space to store all my files. I dont know i have heard that if i run linux with no gui it is really fast. I will be using a laptop to connect to the network, so to have a 350-500 GB storage server would be nice, and i think the community would appreciate that. I know minus the hard drives i can put one together for about $150, but i am worried that it will not be fast enough at 600mhz.