Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Canada has problems too; our whole hemisphere is F'ed up!

TheDave's Avatar n00b
    Quote Originally Posted by Withcheese
    Meh, soccer is the most exciting sport in the world. Also the most popular so you're both wrong.

Soccer > American football, rugby and any other sport where grown men grope at each others midriffs.
    we should change our national sport to something more manly like... WWE?

2. The Drawing Room   -   #32
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDave
    we should change our national sport to something more manly like... WWE?
    Hell yeah!

3. The Drawing Room   -   #33
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    As a humour piece, it's adequate.

I haven't looked at any of the commentary regarding missle defense as Biggles did, because, frankly, I'm a little scared. The sheer amount of anti-Canadianism I've seen on other, more trivial, topics is sometimes boggling.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

4. The Drawing Room   -   #34
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicNakor
    As a humour piece, it's adequate.

I haven't looked at any of the commentary regarding missle defense as Biggles did, because, frankly, I'm a little scared. The sheer amount of anti-Canadianism I've seen on other, more trivial, topics is sometimes boggling.

It certainly took me by surprise. One sort of expects it regarding Arabs and even we Europeans but the sheer animosity towards Canadians completely stunned me. For centuries Scotland and England were at each others throats and some pretty awful things happened but I doubt if we could achieve that level of hatred.

It was as if Canada had been an evil oppressor of the US for centuries rather than a quiet backwater most notable for its politeness.

Is politeness the new evil?

Hey Ho!
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

5. The Drawing Room   -   #35
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    I suppose a lot of the hatred has to do with the fact that Canada is full of first and second generation 'draft dodgers' from the sixties. Now there are more heading 'north of the border' to avoid fighting for their country..

North of the border
    Up Canada way
    Thats where I ran like f**k
    To dodge the draft and
    Bush getting his way.

Just cant imagine Gene Autry singing that one.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #36
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab
    I suppose a lot of the hatred has to do with the fact that Canada is full of first and second generation 'draft dodgers' from the sixties. Now there are more heading 'north of the border' to avoid fighting for their country..
    I doubt that there were ever more than a few thousand US draft dodgers who managed to find their way to Canada.
    Of these, many were immediately eaten by wolves (a quick but painful demise), the others prolly succumbed to the Canadian love of "fried dough" ( a slow and disgusting way to go).

I suspect that the anti-Canadian sentiments arise from the national predilection to send the teenagers of Canadia to Europe to sow their wild oats before returning home and morphing into the tame, yet cute, Canadians known to hobbes.
    During the sixties and seventies I ran into more rampaging Canadian teenagers in Europe than natives.
    No doubt there are many Newfie-German hybrids responsible for the animus.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

7. The Drawing Room   -   #37
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    That would make sense if it were European countries most inclined to it, but it's the US...

The draft dodgers I know are certainly interesting folk. However, unless you go up north you generally won't find them. I guess they didn't just stop at the border.

However, nothing's better than a politely-worded jab. Usually it gets an awkward smile in response. Maybe that really *is* the new evil...

Edit: Although I imagine a Germfie could possibly be considered a bioterrorist threat.
    Last edited by MagicNakor; 02-26-2005 at 03:33 PM.
    things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

8. The Drawing Room   -   #38
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Withcheese
    Sshh you. He's running out of colours. I don't particularly want to see an article posted in pink...
    I wasn't sure it was actually green, but since there's no brown to choose I was asking if it was green.

So it was part question really.

I can't read it anyway, that much of it does screw with my eyes, so meh.

EDit: I can read it, technically speaking, but I won't 'cos I find it unpleasant to look at.
    Last edited by Snee; 02-26-2005 at 05:10 PM.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #39
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    I love Canada and I don't even live there.

If I couldn't live in the U.S., Canada would certainly be a splendid second option.

Funny how we achieve such pique (friendly though it might be) over the questions about the football/rugby/soccer issue.

Were this a pub (never mind, we've tried) there would no doubt soon be a few of you having at fisticuffs over our collective differences.

In that vein, one never hears tales of the great Asian or Buddhist/Islamic barfights, 'cuz they don't happen-it is only we "westerners" who have the foresight to lance that particular "small-issue" boil, and avoid the festering that leads to jihad and other similar foolishness.

In our hearts, though, we are well aware that it is the wee, tiny differences that actually connect us, which is precisely why I have given up bending all of you to my point of view, no matter how much that would benefit you.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

10. The Drawing Room   -   #40
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicNakor
    That would make sense if it were European countries most inclined to it, but it's the US...
    I think it is a violation of U.N. rules for two western nations to suffer from the same persecution complex, MN.

"Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast