Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: pharmacists refusing requests

vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab
    P.S. I had tried to avoid naminmg the religion of the assistant. But as the Catholic Church appeared to be getting the blame, I have relented.
    I don't think that the catholic church was getting blamed, certainly not by me, it is just the one that springs to mind when it comes to "no contraception" policy as an example of religions being not just anti abortion but also anti anything that could stop conception

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #22
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Let the pharmacist have her own beliefs. Just go across the street to the next store ffs.

Now if the store has their own policy against this (which I'm sure they do), then that can be taken up quietly between the store and its employee.

yo

3. The Drawing Room   -   #23
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo
    Let the pharmacist have her own beliefs. Just go across the street to the next store ffs.

Now if the store has their own policy against this (which I'm sure they do), then that can be taken up quietly between the store and its employee.

That was the whole point of the thread. The next store may be 20 miles away.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #24
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    I'd think the pharmacist and anyone working for them are bound by law to honour a doctor's prescription. If it's possible to do so with the means they have at their disposal.

To not do so is a violation of ethics, and should be met with punitive measures.
    Last edited by Snee; 02-27-2005 at 09:58 PM.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #25
    Quote Originally Posted by SnnY
    I'd think the pharmacist and anyone working for them are bound by law to honour a doctor's prescription. If it's possible to do so with the means they have at their disposal.

To not do so is a violation of ethics, and should be met with punitive measures.
    As I said before, a pharmacy is a business, and can sell what it wishes.

If the people don't like it, thay can shop elsewhere.

A privately owned pharmacy bears no obligation to anyone.
    Last edited by hobbes; 02-27-2005 at 10:42 PM.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #26
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by SnnY

Hear Hear (In type of course).
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #27
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbes
    As I said before, a pharmacy is a business, and can sell what it wishes.

If the people don't like it, thay can shop elsewhere.

This is the case if it were an over the counter medicine.

If it were an NHS prescription (and it is not clear if this was the case) then Boots would (if they wished to continue to be paid by the NHS) have to provide the medicines stated. That said this was clearly an individual's personal problem rather than company policy, which has to be one of the largest outlets for contraception in the country.

Boots recruitment and staff training should perhaps have dealt with this issue long before it hit the shop floor. The short piece seem to imply that Boots felt their policy was clear on this matter and suggested that perhaps the staff member, by omission or deliberate subversion, failed to carry out company policy.
    Last edited by Biggles; 02-27-2005 at 10:53 PM.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

8. The Drawing Room   -   #28
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab
    Hear Hear (In type of course).
    Yes, but they have no such obligation.

A doctor may make a prescription, but no independent business has any obligation to fulfill it.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles
    This is the case if it were an over the counter medicine.

If it were an NHS prescription (and it is not clear if this was the case) then Boots would (if they wished to continue to be paid by the NHS) have to provide the medicines stated. That said this was clearly an individual's personal problem rather than company policy, which has to be one of the largest outlets for contraception in the country.

Boots recruitment and staff training should perhaps have dealt with this issue long before it hit the shop floor. The hort piece seem to imply that Boots felt their policy was clear on this matter and suggested that perhaps the staff member by omission or deliberate subversion failed to carry out company policy.

Biggles,

If a business subscribed to a contract that required that all approved medicines should be provided then I have absolutely no objection.

I am just saying that an an independently owned pharmacy can stock what it wishes.
    Last edited by hobbes; 02-27-2005 at 10:55 PM.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #30
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbes

In the Uk at least they would need to abide by certain laws and conditions set out in their license.

i would not like to say what the case is in the USA as it is a minefield when it comes to differing state laws.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast