Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: pharmacists refusing requests

Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman
    Pharmacists here have to go through certian training too but so do barbers.

If I go to pharmacy in your example and I want headache medicine the pharmacy must supply it.
    What if it's not in stock? What about certain brand names? Is that dictated by the government?
    I daresay they aren't going to run of of something to cure headaches too soon, but if they did, they'd be required to order some in, I think.

Or refer you to a place that had some.

When it comes to prescription drugs it's a bit stricter. If you need insulin, for instance, then they'll write you up, order it asap and call you. In an emergency they'll have it brought in right away. Or they'll, again, refer you to somewhere it's available, like a hospital.

I don't think you can ask for a particular brand name, unless it's a prescription drug in which case they have to get you what the doc ordered.

EDit: There's quite a bit of testing to go through before the government allows it be sold at all, so any drug you buy at a pharmacy has their seal of approval on it, figuratively speaking.

But that's the same everywhere civilised, I think.
    Last edited by Snee; 02-28-2005 at 05:54 PM.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #82
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Quote Originally Posted by SnnY
    I don't think you can ask for a particular brand name, unless it's a prescription drug in which case they have to get you what the doc ordered.
    I thought prescriptions used generic as much as possible and the doctor write the medical name for the drug, not the brand name... the dispenser then give which brand he has.
    with over the counter you can ask for whatever brand you want as long as they have it

edit...In the UK
    Last edited by vidcc; 02-28-2005 at 05:55 PM.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #83
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Gotcha.

Pharmacies prescribe medicine.
    The system is in its infancy at the moment. Pharmacies are also allowed to repeat your doctors prescriptions after initial consultation between Doctor/Pharmacy. Except for items printed in italics by the doctor.These are generally prescribed drugs.(Drugs of misuse)
    Last edited by bigboab; 02-28-2005 at 05:55 PM.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #84
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    I thought prescriptions used generic as uch as possible and the doctor write the medical name for the drug, not the brand name... the dispenser then give which brand he has.
    with over the counter you can ask for whatever brand you want as long as they have it
    I've had a doctor write down the exact dosage of a certain brand of drug a couple of times.

When I worked in the hospital there was talk of companies trying to convince physicians to prescribe their drugs, by giving out free samples and frickin gift baskets and whatnot.

Not sure how much of that came from the imaginations of bitter old nurses tho'.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #85
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by SnnY
    I've had a doctor write down the exact dosage of a certain brand of drug a couple of times.

When I worked in the hospital there was talk of companies trying to convince physicians to prescribe their drugs, by giving out free samples and frickin gift baskets and whatnot.

Not sure how much of that came from the imaginations of bitter old nurses tho'.
    That is going on over here Snny.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #86
    Arm's Avatar Poster
    The bad part is....pharmacies shouldn't prescribing a damn thing.

Just hand me what's already been prescribed (or definitely OTC) and try to answer MY FUCKING QUESTIONS. (there's my rehash)

Well, I meant when it came to honoring prescriptions.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #87
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc
    they have no obligation for over the counter/ on the shelf drugs. they can stock whatever brand they wish.
    ....then this sounds like what hobbes was saying...

The morning after pill is otc in the UK.
    They are not obligated.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

8. The Drawing Room   -   #88
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    ....then this sounds like what hobbes was saying...

The morning after pill is otc in the UK.
    They are not obligated.
    but it's also on the NHS prescription list. this means that it my be aquired free at point of service by someone that qualifies for free prescriptions, or at a cheaper set fee (is it arout the 7 pound mark at the moment?) if one has to pay for prescriptions assuming it cost more over the counter

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #89
    Arm's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr JP Fugley
    I believe it is now illegal (in the UK) to sell more than a specific number of painkillers, to the same person, at the same time.

It's a sort of suicide "cooling off" period type of thing.
    Thats really fucking stupid. Think about it, 1 bottle of Tylenol is enough to kill yourself with(providing it's maximum strength) and limiting the amount is going to help how? And besides, if you really wanted to kill yourself it wouldnt be hard to go to another store and buy another bottle.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #90
    The original post proposed a situation.

In a freemarket system, I stated that no owner should be forced to stock anything he does not wish.

We have been enlightened that it is a requirement to carry an NHS list of medications and this is a condition which must be agreed upon to obtain a pharmacy license.

There is no discussion then.

If there is a rule and you break it, you will pay a penalty. Can't really discuss that.
    Last edited by hobbes; 03-01-2005 at 12:43 AM.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast