Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Football/Soccer

bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by manker
    Attendances for the English leagues are at an all time high.
    Sorry but I find that hard to believe. Clubs have been forced, for safety reasons, to reduce the capacity of their grounds. Some of the larger clubs, like that one with the bad goallie maybe. There are far less people paying to go to football matches in England than 50 years ago.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

2. Sports Club   -   #12
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab
    Sorry but I find that hard to believe. Clubs have been forced, for safety reasons, to reduce the capacity of their grounds. Some of the larger clubs, like that one with the bad goallie maybe. There are far less people paying to go to football matches in England than 50 years ago.
    My memory doesn't stretch back quite as far as yours

Granted, when no-one cared about putting people inside soccer stadia akin to sardines in a can, then more people saw a live match - no-one wants to go back to that.

In my lifetime, football popularity is at it's peak and is still rising. More people go to football matches now than at any point I remember. Here are the stats.

This is despite the advent of huge wages and increased ticket prices.

In any case, I actually made far more pertinent points than that.

Paying huge wages doesn't make clubs go bankrupt - bad businessmen do.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

3. Sports Club   -   #13
    Attendances for the English leagues are at an all time high.

It's a competitive market - if attendances drop then prices would be lowered, it's that simple.

Some people can't afford the admission fee for their favourite club, some people can't afford to travel to their favourite holiday destination. I don't see a distinction.

Soccer players who get paid high wages are at the top of their profession and they get rewarded for it. If the employer is willing to pay a high fee to secure the services of an individual then it's nobody's business but their own.

If their business goes bankrupt because their wage bill was too high, then they need their arses kicked because they didn't plan correctly. The same is true of football clubs.

First point discussed.

Second point. Thirty years ago you worked one hour(Working mans wages) to earn admission fee to a football match. Now the working man has to work half a day to earn admission.

Third point. Most working people only go on holiday once a year. Football home games are at least 21 times a year. Costing one person about £400 plus extras.

Fourth point. Do the customers not count any more. It started out as a sport not a means to make money for individuals or shareholders. The cup and the title were the things that mattered not the sponsorship gained by winning them.

Fifth point. Got to go. Answer it later.

I have more points than my local team.

4. Sports Club   -   #14
    DanB's Avatar Smoke weed everyday
    Their points are prolly worth something though

5. Sports Club   -   #15
    Quote Originally Posted by DanB
    Their points are prolly worth something though
    Yes. Liquidation.

6. Sports Club   -   #16
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Being a Leeds fan, I can understand resentment toward overpaid/underperforming players and the agents/boards that conspire to drive ticket prices into the stratosphere.

I think, however, that this spiral will continue until people stop going to matches, paying for TV coverage and purchasing merchandise. This is not going to happen for a while yet.

The problem is that if UK clubs want to be competitive - whether in Europe or domestically - they will have to pay for top players. When Juve, Milan, Real, Barca and many others pay such huge wages to get the players they want, the cost for UK clubs cannot fall, because they will just lose out on the players.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

7. Sports Club   -   #17
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Soccer...meh...

yo

8. Sports Club   -   #18
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo
    Soccer...meh...

Then don't post. It really is trolling otherwise.

9. Sports Club   -   #19
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Second point. Thirty years ago you worked one hour(Working mans wages) to earn admission fee to a football match. Now the working man has to work half a day to earn admission.
    That's not quite true. Recently I needed to fill in a questionaire for a mate who didn't want to pay his Student loan back - the criteria is that unless you're earning 80% of the national average, you don't have to pay it - the threshold is £18000, this means the average hourly rate is £10.81.

So your average working man must work approximately 2 hours to get in to watch a match in the top league. I'd say the increase is due to the better facilities and security - who wants to be crammed into a ground without a proper view of the game and 3 local bobbies, one on a white horse, looking after everyone. Certainly not a man with his family - which I believe is your main point.

Personally if I was going to take my missus and son (he's too young atm) I'd want a seat for them both, decent police presence lest hooliganism broke out, hundreds of stewards and proper toilets - the price is unimportant c.f. their comfort and safety - I get all that in 2005 but I would have had none of it in 1950.

Watching football is more suitable for families today than it was in 1950. There can be no argument.

Third point. Most working people only go on holiday once a year. Football home games are at least 21 times a year. Costing one person about £400 plus extras.
    They are both luxuries that some people can't afford. The frequency of use is irrelevant.

Fourth point. Do the customers not count any more. It started out as a sport not a means to make money for individuals or shareholders. The cup and the title were the things that mattered not the sponsorship gained by winning them.
    The fact that hooliganism has been all but stamped out, CCTV has made the crowd safer, they get decent amenities, freedom of expression - which the highly paid superstars dont get, proper vantage points and security provided means that the customer does matter. Sure, they have to pay twice as much now but the product is totally different and well worth it.

Also I'm sure you're not insinuating that fans were more passionate back in the day, you old romantic

I have more points than my local team.
    If you're talking about Kilmarnock, then probably

The problem is that you're not looking at the big picture, moaning that soccer tickets are twice as expensive now as they were isn't logical - imagine if a bloke moaned that a Vauxhall Vectra is half the price of a Mercedes, you'd give him a look like this smiley
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

10. Sports Club   -   #20
    If you're talking about Kilmarnock, then probably
    your area average may be about £10.00 an hour. That is not the case up here. No I am not moving south. Been there, seen there, wore the 'T' shirt.

Owing to the above comment this will be our last 'debate' on the subject. You are now on ignore. If you want to know why ask Zero.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast