Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Football/Soccer

bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Reading in the papers this morning(UK) about alleged criminal attempts or 'talk' of a certain Premeirship club trying to offload high cost players. Talk of plying them with drugs then getting them tested. 'breaking legs' outwith games etc.

I know the above sounds ridiculous. But it has reached a stage where wages and conditions are too costly. Is it time to get rid of agents, high wage packets etc. IMO they should go back to a one year contract. If you dont fulfil your promise then out on your ear. Lets get football back to where a family can afford to go and watch it every week without taking out a mortgage.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

2. Sports Club   -   #2
    Chewie's Avatar Chew E. Bakke
    Hmm.

Let's put a cap on players' wages and watch all the half decent ones play in Italy & Span. Again.
    There isn't a bargepole long enough for me to work on [a Sony Viao] - clocker 2008

3. Sports Club   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewie UK
    Hmm.

Let's put a cap on players' wages and watch all the half decent ones play in Italy & Span. Again.
    Spain and Italy are in the same situation. Only a very few clubs have multi-millionnaires backing them. The rest are going bankrupt tryin to keep up. How can anyone justify £50,000 a week for kicking a ball when the majority of people are struggling to survive. Let the sponsors pay individual players wages and see how long before they lose their sponsorship. A couple of bad games and that would be it. Get the admission fee down to affordable levels and watch the supporters come back. If they have not already lost them.

4. Sports Club   -   #4
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    The hugh admission fees keep the working classes away from football. Tidies the place up imo, less violence.

^^j/k

5. Sports Club   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Withcheese
    The hugh admission fees keep the working classes away from football. Tidies the place up imo, less violence.

^^j/k
    A Capitalist student. Now there is a new concept.

6. Sports Club   -   #6
    enoughfakefiles's Avatar Ad ministrator
    I thought they were going to introduce that you can only pay out in wages a percentage of what the annual income was or did i dream that.

This is the man to blame.

The agents are`nt much better though.

7. Sports Club   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by enoughfakefiles
    I thought they were going to introduce that you can only pay out in wages a percentage of what the annual income was or did i dream that.

This is the man to blame.

The agents are`nt much better though.
    Chin him then.

Sorry I have changed my mind. I have just noticed he is wearing my 'ole boys' tie.
    Last edited by bigboab; 02-27-2005 at 01:18 PM.

8. Sports Club   -   #8
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab
    A Capitalist student. Now there is a new concept.

Bloody hell, I'm a capitalist militant-vegan student.
    Last edited by Withcheese; 02-27-2005 at 01:18 PM.

9. Sports Club   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Withcheese
    Bloody hell, I'm a capitalist militant-vegan student.
    You must be doing physical and mental somersaults going in to your subsidised refectory.

10. Sports Club   -   #10
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab
    Spain and Italy are in the same situation. Only a very few clubs have multi-millionnaires backing them. The rest are going bankrupt tryin to keep up. How can anyone justify £50,000 a week for kicking a ball when the majority of people are struggling to survive. Let the sponsors pay individual players wages and see how long before they lose their sponsorship. A couple of bad games and that would be it. Get the admission fee down to affordable levels and watch the supporters come back. If they have not already lost them.
    Attendances for the English leagues are at an all time high.

It's a competitive market - if attendances drop then prices would be lowered, it's that simple.

Some people can't afford the admission fee for their favourite club, some people can't afford to travel to their favourite holiday destination. I don't see a distinction.

Soccer players who get paid high wages are at the top of their profession and they get rewarded for it. If the employer is willing to pay a high fee to secure the services of an individual then it's nobody's business but their own.

If their business goes bankrupt because their wage bill was too high, then they need their arses kicked because they didn't plan correctly. The same is true of football clubs.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast