Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Are Some Cds Cheaper Than Others ?

When you go to store to buy a pack of 50 or 100 CDs, there can be a big price difference. Do you think burning a songs on different price CDs will sound different ? I think its all digital data. So it should not matter. And same should go for movies. So why such differences ? (from $4 - $40 a pack)

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    Some CD's R better quality, thats were U pay for

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    imported_The__One
    CD prices vary a lot 'cause brand CD's, like Sony, Niponic... are more expensive then no-brand CD's, but tend to have better quality, even tho U pay a lot just for the brand ....also, prices vary, depending on where U go to buy CD's...CD's in the Mall, cost 'bout 5 times what they cost on the "steet". The best thing to do in my experience is to go for the middle.....don't buy the expensive CD's that say ther specially designed for the best possible audio/video experience and don't buy the 5 cent CD's wich will "peel off" after a few months .

But even in the "no brand" sector, price ranges still vary a lot..a basic guide is the CD's color:

green= bad
    blue= OK
    yellow= OK
    silver=fuckin' good

Tho I'm not sure if this is correct

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    ShareDaddy's Avatar OLD ShareDaddy
    Also depending on what country you live in the disc prices are increased for anything that references MUSIC on them, so never buy any CD's that say MUSIC on them, there is in the US and some other countires taxes added, which in most cases doubles the price. You do not need to buy MUSIC cd's, generic data discs are all you need for any type of file or use you would ever need them for, from text to music to movies, all good.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    A lesson I learned from using cheapo CD's,

I recently purchased a new cd-rw to replace my ageing 4X Hp which had served me well for years. The first cd i 'burnt' was at full speed to see how long it would take. the CD media I used was the cheapest stuff i could buy...and guess what ?... the foil peeled off into tiny specks while burning and knackered the inside of my new cd-rw .!!!!

Make sure you have half decent blank cd's that are rated to the speed you intend to burn at, It's cheaper in the long run.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    harrycary's Avatar Poster
    If the label states for "music only" these are meant to be used on home CD burners(for your home stereo).

As far as quality goes, more money will not necessarily get you any better quality. Name brands will always be more expensive(duh, this is not a new concept). And the color has nothing to do with it. I know this is debatable but my technicians don't believe it(I'm a Service Mgr for a repair shop).

Personally, I've always bought the cheapest I could find. I've never had any problems. But since I have a j-o-b, any CD-Rs that cost less than a dollar is cheap to me.

Here's a tip, hold the blank CD to a strong light. If you can see light through it than you may have problems burning data to it.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    I just bought some CD-Rs that cost 8 pesos (Philippine Currency)(about $0.15) each here in the Philippines! Really cheap, good quality, and for "ALL SPEEDS"! Different variety of colors, too! Violet, yellow, silver, blue, and other colors, except black. Cool, ne?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    Just wanted to add that some really cheap cd-r's are a waste of time cause if you have a burner that can do the job at 48x, but the crappy disc can only burn at 16x, then time is lost.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    does it matter... they are all cds...

lol

i have memorex & sony cds... memorex 100 for $10 and sony 50 for $3... both had rebates thatz why....

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    ShareDaddy's Avatar OLD ShareDaddy
    The only discs I have ever had tons of issues with were the Microcenters cheapies, their own brand, what I found was that about 2 out of 10 (sometimes more) were foggy near the edges on the burn side, those never burned, even trying them in 3 different burners, never burned. All others have been fine, even had some super cheapies once with more sales logos and phone numbers on them than the yellow pages (phone book).

My favorite discs are as follows (only when on sale or with rebate of course) I never pay over .20 cents US per disc.
    Phillips
    Khypermedia
    Imation
    Memorex
    SONY CD-R SUPREME (my favorite, classiest looking discs out of them all), paid after rebates 3 cents a piece for em.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast