Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crucial Ballistix Tracer Memory Question

mr. nails's Avatar m@D @n!m3 BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by _John_Lennon_
    Hmm, I'm pretty sure I had that in mind when looking at his initial post, however I think somewhere along the way. Perhaps its because they're both ASUS? Whatever.

In that case I will just go back to my orignial reply.

You dont intend to OC? 4000 will let you go up to 250FSB, and that ballistix will let you go to probably 270 with relaxed timings.

Timings and FSB are what the memory is about, and seeing as how you wont be needing all that FSB, PC 3200 speeds will do. With 250FSB ram, you could run it at 200FSB with pretty tight timings, but there are probably cheaper PC3200 solutions that would do that already.

I also misread thinking in your second reply that when you say 3500, u meant memory. You of course meant your new processor

Let me go look up some results on your board, see what the average OCs are for it.
    yes, ur right. new asus mb and amd 64 3500+ is what i meant. sry for any confusion.
    *edit: also, i haven't edited my sig cuz i ordered it sunday and haven't received it yet. got my new chassis today, but that's all so far...
    *edit: what am i looking 4 in cas latency? 2, 2.5, 3? lol, i don't understand that either. thank u for helping me understand this.
    Last edited by mr. nails; 03-03-2005 at 08:32 AM.
    Alamo Drafthouse!

Last Game Completed: Aliens: Colonial Marines (PC) 10-13-13
    Now Playing: Paper Mario 64
    Total Games Completed: 503

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    lynx's Avatar .
    I just got the Abit AV8 mobo, FSB speed can be controlled separately from cpu speed on that, I would think the Asus A8V board will have the same facility. However, since the memory controller is built into the CPU chip, that will obviously still be the limiting factor.

It is unlikely that you will be able to increase the FSB speed to fully utilise the potential of pc4000 ram. IMO you would be better advised to spend the money on slower certification with tighter chip timings - 2,2,2,5 on pc3200 is better than 3,3,3,8 on pc4000 if you can't run the memory at 250MHz.

My board sets the cpu (3000) speed at 1836MHz(9x204MHz) as default, even though it knows the speed should be 1800MHz.
    I decided to try the win2k3 x64 pre-release, I imagine the full release will have been cracked long before the 12-month time limit runs out.

Edit: I wish they'd make up their minds, sometimes it is labelled as W2k3, other times as XP.
    Last edited by lynx; 03-03-2005 at 10:18 AM.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx

Edit: I wish they'd make up their minds, sometimes it is labelled as W2k3, other times as XP.
    It's Windows XP Professional x64 Edition but I think its kernel is based on Win2003server. That's why there's the confusion.
    Last edited by Virtualbody1234; 03-03-2005 at 03:29 PM.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    _John_Lennon_'s Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. nails
    yes, ur right. new asus mb and amd 64 3500+ is what i meant. sry for any confusion.
    *edit: also, i haven't edited my sig cuz i ordered it sunday and haven't received it yet. got my new chassis today, but that's all so far...
    *edit: what am i looking 4 in cas latency? 2, 2.5, 3? lol, i don't understand that either. thank u for helping me understand this.

The lower latency the better, though you wont see any below 2 for the Cas Latency.

However paying more money for ram just to run lower latencies really never seemed that much of a good deal. Latencies and timings are over rated!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12