Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: It's time for Canada to legalize cannabis

bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    What would be next?
    A bit like saying lets abolish all laws then there would be no criminals.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab
    What would be next?

You've taken that too far!

Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab
    What would be next?
    Im a great believer in having Outlaws and less Criminals

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    manker's Avatar effendi
    I'm not sure it's such a good idea to legalise all drugs.

Biggles mentioned that it was almost the case in Victorian society but, of course, the country's infrastructure was entirely different and disposable income wasn't a particular concern to folk. I don't think the comparison is relevant.

In contemporary society more people would take drugs, if legalised, than in the Victorian era.

This would cause a problem with the functionality of society - with a wider variety of mind altering substances available than simply alcohol, more folk would get stoned rather than do some work. The whole dynamic of our country would alter.

As has been pointed out, the plus points are easy to foresee - as is the moralistic outcry if such a topic was even debated at an official level, but the more esoteric effects that this would have on society are less tangible.

I think it would be quite detrimental.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    If your going to smoke Dope, you'll smoke dope.

If your going to be a Junkie you'll be a Junkie.

Its not as if its hard to come by now, indeed the very fact that its "Illegal" is part of the attraction to those that are just trying to Rebel. They then get caught up in it and cant get out.

I dont think that usage would increase significantly from what it is now, however i think the related crime and deaths through injecting Ajax would cirtainly go down.

Just like you'd fire someone that was drunk at work, you'd fire someone that was high.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat Faced
    I dont think that usage would increase significantly from what it is now, however I think the related crime and deaths through injecting Ajax would certainly go down.
    We could be doing with that kind of injection into Scottish Football.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    I think Scottish Football is; if not beyond recovery, the definatly near the mark

Shame, as you have many talented players, that dont get a chance to develope.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #18
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat Faced
    If your going to smoke Dope, you'll smoke dope.

If your going to be a Junkie you'll be a Junkie.

Its not as if its hard to come by now, indeed the very fact that its "Illegal" is part of the attraction to those that are just trying to Rebel. They then get caught up in it and cant get out.

I dont think that usage would increase significantly from what it is now, however i think the related crime and deaths through injecting Ajax would cirtainly go down.

Just like you'd fire someone that was drunk at work, you'd fire someone that was high.
    That's not what I mean, at all. You'll notice I mentioned work and societal dynamics regarding functionality, indicating that it wasn't really younger element that I was talking about. Drugs in the workplace would, of course, be treated like getting drunk and coming to work - that's hardly an esoteric factor. Possibly, less people would innovate in their own time, less people would volunteer for overtime, self employed folk would knock off at 5 rather than 7 - motivation for self betterment would diminish overall, and the dynamics of society would alter.

Also I think that if drugs were legal there would be more addicts, as I've indicated.

For example, I get fed up with the pub, so usually I don't go more than twice a week, but if I could go there and have a spliff, or a line of coke, or some lsd, or some drugs I have never heard of - I may well spend some more time there. The reason I don't take illegal drugs for recreation anymore is because I really don't want to risk getting a criminal record and I don't particularly like associating with drug dealer scum.

I suspect it's the same for many people who are open minded about mind altering substances but also have one eye on their social responsibilities.

A good parallel is the refusal of chemists to sell paracetamol in large quantities, it is bound to cut down on the amount of people killed by taking a large amount of paracetamol. Granted determined people can still get a lot of paracetamol but it is that much harder so most folk won't bother - it's the same with recreational drugs being illegal, except that obtaining illegal drugs is that much harder than getting another pack of tablets from the Co-Op.
    I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #19
    Then your sensible enough to leave it alone.

and I don't particularly like associating with drug dealer scum.
    So lets get rid of them

10. The Drawing Room   -   #20
    TheDave's Avatar n00b
    Quote Originally Posted by biggles
    I recall hearing the Chief of the Met saying something similar years ago. The bulk of muggings and burglaries are committed by Junkies. A great deal of the death associated with drugs is due to the high price and poor quality of the substances taken. In short much of the misery, cost of prisons, police, hospitals and medical care is taken up due to the illegality of drugs.

the nature of the drug-user won't change. making the substance legal doesn't change it's psychological effects. a smackhead won't decide to get a job to pay for their habit, just because its legal.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast