Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Settle The Download Speed Issue Once And For All

Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    56k=EXTREME STRESS AND NOT WORTHY OF USEING FOR THE INTERNET!!!

first time i got broadband, i was able to actually browse webpages like they were already downloaded
    amazing
    Defenently worth the extra price in bill (you get more for your money)

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    akitotinkawa2 YOU ARE A FUCKING RETARD!!!

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13

relax!

Maybe his 56k plus, is special.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Poster
    56 kbps can only download at max 7 kB/s, but the government or maybe FCC (in the usa at least, dunno bout others) only allows a max connection of 53.3, so your max download would be about 6.5 but the likelyhood of one actually getting that isn't to likely, cause of line noise and some other factors, one would most like get around 5-6 kB/s... And nothnig will make that go any faster, short of going to broadband cause it's a limitation of the modem

Kazaa reports with a little b which is bits, but it actually means big b which is bytes, it's just a bug in the program and there are 8 bits in a byte, so divide the kbitsps by 8 and see what you get, that'll be the kbytesps and is what kazaa (and most browsers when you download with them) show

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    DarthInsinuate's Avatar Died in battle
    akitotinkawa2 i recommend you check your computer, someone might have upgraded you to broadband without telling you, check your bills because they could be taking alot of money off you

also while you're checking round the back of things, check your arse, it seems to be talking

like Yusuke said 56k means max d/l 7kB/s
    because: 56k = 56000BITS, 8bits to a byte so: 7000bytes
    The Sexay Half Of ABBA And Max: Freelance Plants

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    This is immposible! You don't have a rocket-connection my friend it's just a 56k modem!

WAKE UP

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    There are ways to override the governemnt FCC thing.. My friend was telling me how if u say u live in a different country to the modem, it will go A LOT faster, but I heard that its really illegal.. but i dont know.. I think this is guy is on crack cocaine personally

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Original posters confused over bits & bytes. 40/8=5 true dl speed. Simple.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Originally posted by Jibbler@4 April 2003 - 23:01
    This thread may be the biggest waste of bandwidth on this board. 56k can only download at speeds of up to 56kbps, actually less, but l'm not going to go into the specifics of it. The speed can fluctuate higher or lower, based on the source that you are downloading from.

If 56k were as fast as DSL or T1, then why would anyone spend the money for a broadband connection?
    Yup.. I forget Jibbler..but isnt a 56k modem capped at around 53K?
    Not that you would even get close to that under optimal conditions, because of issues beyond the users control such as phone Co. internal routing and switching systems,relays,wire type & guage.. and a host of other things.. the only way around it is to get off the phone line.. Or get a broadband connection.

Edit: typo

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Originally posted by lunatacs@5 April 2003 - 06:09

relax!

Maybe his 56k plus, is special.
    at least hes being honest......

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast