Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Settle The Download Speed Issue Once And For All

Originally posted by akitotinkawa2@4 April 2003 - 17:17
    First off i want to say that i have a 56k modem and have been able to download consistantly at over 40k per second. all other people have said that 56 k can only download at 5-6k per second it is the other way around you can only upload at 5-6k p/s but can download almost as fast ass the other person can send it. It depends on the bandwith the higher the bandwith the faster the download. yesterday i was able to download the entire final destination 2 movie that was 300,000 k in about 2 hours. so if you have a 56k you can download just as fast as dsl or t1 as long as your downloading from a higher bandwith. So that should settle it I work for general dynamics and know alot on the subject so if you have questions or replies just post them.
    STOP SMOKING CRACK. its bad for you!

2. Software & Hardware   -   #52
    Poster
    That original guy whatever his name is i do not wnat to know is talking absolute shit!
    I have cable modem and my speeds are up to 70kb/s on kazaa lite downloads
    When i had 56k they were up to 16kb/s kazaa downloads
    It depends on both bandwidths. I am sure because i have seen the difference.
    When you d/l from som1 you connect to them. The connection speed is the average speed - the distance that slows it down. This speed is what you use to d/l from someone.
    EG: If someone is in UK and someone is in USA.
    Uk person starts downloading of USA who has Cable modem (512kb/s). Uk person only has 56k modem. This means the avg. is 284kb/s.
    Now we minus the distance slow down
    we now hav 184kb/s
    divide by 8: 23kb/s
    so maximum speed from that is 23kb/s.
    But lets say that person has loads of other people d/l from him.
    lets minus 10kb/s
    13kb/s will then be your max.
    enough said

3. Software & Hardware   -   #53
    lmfao

i hope this entire thread was meant as a joke.
    either way, im laughing my ass off.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #54
    Nightwolf's Avatar Old Guy
    Originally posted by sred2003@19 April 2003 - 04:38
    lmfao

i hope this entire thread was meant as a joke.
    either way, im laughing my ass off.
    Yes, this type of person is sometimes referred to as a 'Troll'. He just wanted to get people fired up, and he succeeded. If nothing else, at least there were a few intelligent and informative posts in this thread.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #55
    1/2 Man, 1/2 Amazing
    akitotinkawa2 is mcnerderson, nuff said.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #56
    the fastest that anyone can download from one source (one other person), is either the limit of the first person's download speed or the limit of the second person's upload speed. for example, if someone (person a for arguments sake), wanted to download a file from another person (person B ), then the maximum download speed person a can ever get is either person a's maximum download speed or person b's maximum upload speed, whichever is lower.
    therefore, if person a has a 56k modem (maximum 56 kilobits per second download/56 kilobits per seond upload (v.92)), and person b has a 512kilobits per second adsl modem (maximum 512 kilobits per second download/256 kilobits per second upload), the maximum download speed person a can get is 56 kilobits per second (or 7 kilobytes per second). however, if person a has a 512 kilobits per second adsl modem and person b has a 56 kilobits per second modem (v.92), the maximum download speed that person a could get would be 56 kilobits per second (7 kilobytes per second).

7. Software & Hardware   -   #57
    Poster
    But, what the poster of this topic said isn't 100% reliable. He said you can download just as fast as DSL etc. as long as the upload bandwidth is high. Well V.92 modems can only handle a certain amount, that's around 56 Kbps. So sometimes you can't download as fast as DSL because the modem can't handle the downstream rates. DSL can be capable of receiving up to 8 Mbps downstream.

Thanks
    AS

8. Software & Hardware   -   #58
    BULLLLLLSHITBULLLLLLSHITBULLLLLLSHITBULLLLLLSHITBULLLLLLSHITBULLLLLLSHITBULLLLLLSHITBULLLLLLSHITBULLLLLLSHITBULLLLLLSHITBULLLLLLSHITBULLLLLLSHITBULLLLLLSHITBULLLLLLSHITBULLLLLLSHITBULLLLLLSHITBULLLLLLSHITBULLLLLLSHITBULLLLLLSHITBULLLLLLSHITBULLLLLLSHITBULLLLLLSHITBULLLLLLSHITBULLLLLLSHITBULLLLLLSHITBULLLLLLSHITBULLLLLLSHITBULLLLLLSHITBULLLLLLSHITBULLLLLLSHITBULLLLLLSHITBULLLLLLSHITBULLLLLLSHITBULLLLLLSHITBULLLLLLSHITBULLLLLLSHITBULLLLLLSHITBULLLLLLSHITBULLLLLLSHITBULLLLLLSHITBULLLLLLSHITBULLLLLLSHITBULLLLLLSHITBULLLLLLSHITBULLLLLLSHITBULLLLLLSHITBULLLLLLSHITBULLLLLLSHITBULLLLLLSHITBULLLLLLSHITBULLLLLLSHITBULLLLLLSHITBULLLLLLSHITBULLLLLLSHITBULLLLLLSHITBULLLLLLSHITBULLLLLLSHITBULLLLLLSHITBULLLLLLSHITBULLLLLLSHITBULLLLLLSHITBULLLLLLSHITBULLLLLLSHITBULLLLLLSHITBULLLLLLSHITBULLLLLLSHITBULLLLLLSHITBULLLLLLSHITBULLLLLLSHITBULLLLLLSHITBULLLLLLSHITBULLLLLLSHITBULLLLLLSHITBULLLLLLSHITBULLLLLLSHITBULLLLLLSHITBULLLLLLSHITBULLLLLLSHITBULLLLLLSHITBULLLLLLSHITBULLLLLLSHITBULLLLLLSHITBULLLLLLSHITBULLLLLLSHITBULLLLLLSHITBULLLLLLSHIT

9. Software & Hardware   -   #59
    Nightwolf's Avatar Old Guy
    Originally posted by amphoteric88@20 April 2003 - 03:18
    the fastest that anyone can download from one source (one other person), is either the limit of the first person's download speed or the limit of the second person's upload speed. for example, if someone (person a for arguments sake), wanted to download a file from another person (person B ), then the maximum download speed person a can ever get is either person a's maximum download speed or person b's maximum upload speed, whichever is lower.
    therefore, if person a has a 56k modem (maximum 56 kilobits per second download/56 kilobits per seond upload (v.92)), and person b has a 512kilobits per second adsl modem (maximum 512 kilobits per second download/256 kilobits per second upload), the maximum download speed person a can get is 56 kilobits per second (or 7 kilobytes per second). however, if person a has a 512 kilobits per second adsl modem and person b has a 56 kilobits per second modem (v.92), the maximum download speed that person a could get would be 56 kilobits per second (7 kilobytes per second).
    I agree with your entire statement except for one thing. As far as I know, 56K modems can only upload at 28K. So person A (with ADSL) could only download from person B at 3.5 kb/sec.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #60
    the v.90 56k modems can only upload at 28k. the newer v.92 ones can upload at 56k.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast