View Poll Results: Do you recycle household waste?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I recycle everything I can.

19 39.58%
  • Yes, but only some things, I'd recycle more if there was a financial incentive.

6 12.50%
  • Yes, but only some things. That will probably never change.

14 29.17%
  • No, but I would if there was a monetary incentive.

4 8.33%
  • No, and that wouldn't change - even if there was a financial reward.

5 10.42%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Recycling Stuff - Do You Do It?

bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Watch the Penn & Tellers 'Bullshit' series on Recycling. It might just change your outlook. Why recycle paper? We grow trees for paper etc. It is the equivelant of recycling potato peelings.

There should be an option for 'I am forced by the Council to recycle. On the threat of a £2000 fine'
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

2. Lounge   -   #12
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDave
    i reckon recycling pushes tax up more than using a different landfill will

No, TheDave, actually if they closed our small landfill and we had to truck our household waste to the nearest landfill and pay their fee per tonage, plus trucking, etc., we would pay considerably more than we are now. My guess would be that this varies by county, and size, and even availability of vendors purchasing recycleables in any given area.

But then ours is a countwide operation and the City doesn't participate in it.

I wouldn't like to be forced into recycling, especially by my City. If that were the situation here, I would have left City employment long before I did as I wouldn't enjoy dealing with the public complaints!

Luckily our recycling is all voluntary .... they don't even pick up from your household, but do have large dumspters placed around town for people to toss into as desired.

BiGBoab-Actually our paper is ground up, mixed with water and used for daily cover at our landfill. A half inch of that replaces 6 inches of dirt daily and thereby more than triples the life of it. Not only that but they are bagging it and using it for garden mulch. I guess one man's trash can be another man's treasure, no?

3. Lounge   -   #13
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by Everose
    Actually our paper is ground up, mixed with water and used for daily cover at our landfill.
    Ah-

Is the hydro-pulping done on-site?

I only ask because I expect you know this off the top-of-your-head, or maybe you know someone who, um....knows...I think.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. Lounge   -   #14
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    Just goes out with the other rubbish. All I've got to do is put it in a special blue bag instead of a normal black/green one.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

5. Lounge   -   #15
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    :yzh:

6. Lounge   -   #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Everose
    No, TheDave, actually if they closed our small landfill and we had to truck our household waste to the nearest landfill and pay their fee per tonage, plus trucking, etc., we would pay considerably more than we are now. My guess would be that this varies by county, and size, and even availability of vendors purchasing recycleables in any given area.

But then ours is a countwide operation and the City doesn't participate in it.

I wouldn't like to be forced into recycling, especially by my City. If that were the situation here, I would have left City employment long before I did as I wouldn't enjoy dealing with the public complaints!

Luckily our recycling is all voluntary .... they don't even pick up from your household, but do have large dumspters placed around town for people to toss into as desired.

BiGBoab-Actually our paper is ground up, mixed with water and used for daily cover at our landfill. A half inch of that replaces 6 inches of dirt daily and thereby more than triples the life of it. Not only that but they are bagging it and using it for garden mulch. I guess one man's trash can be another man's treasure, no?

I appreciate that Rose. No I dont, I am just saying that to be polite.
    I think it would also be a good idea to recycle at the source. About 35% of a tree that is cut down ends up as useable wood. What happens to the rest? The majority of it is burned where the tree is cut down. Is that setting an example to recycle?

7. Lounge   -   #17
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by bigboab
    I appreciate that Rose. No I dont, I am just saying that to be polite.
    I think it would also be a good idea to recycle at the source. About 35% of a tree that is cut down ends up as useable wood. What happens to the rest? The majority of it is burned where the tree is cut down. Is that setting an example to recycle?

BigBoab: Absolutely not. But if they are going to mess up that way while cutting them down, the least we can do is make the most of the rest!

J2: Yes, it is done on site... Listen to me talk refuse......
    That darn man has totally brainwashed me!! But I must add...he has his financial spreadsheets that seem to back him up!!! I am drawing the line at insulating my attic by blowing the stuff in!!!! (or at least not being the first one to try it!)
    Last edited by Everose; 03-04-2005 at 08:24 PM.

8. Lounge   -   #18
    TheDave's Avatar n00b
    Last edited by TheDave; 03-06-2005 at 11:44 AM.

9. Lounge   -   #19
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    I go as far as taking my newspaper to work for the packing crew. Bit of a fight with the wife on recycling tho. I rinse the tin cans and remove lables. She thinks I'm nuts . I tell her its for our children's future.

10. Lounge   -   #20
    Quote Originally Posted by peat moss
    I go as far as taking my newspaper to work for the packing crew. Bit of a fight with the wife on recycling tho. I rinse the tin cans and remove lables. She thinks I'm nuts . I tell her its for our children's future.

And to my children I leave 50 thousand clean tin cans.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast