View Poll Results: Do you recycle household waste?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I recycle everything I can.

19 39.58%
  • Yes, but only some things, I'd recycle more if there was a financial incentive.

6 12.50%
  • Yes, but only some things. That will probably never change.

14 29.17%
  • No, but I would if there was a monetary incentive.

4 8.33%
  • No, and that wouldn't change - even if there was a financial reward.

5 10.42%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Recycling Stuff - Do You Do It?

Poster
    Update:

I now have a ground paper mixture mulch sprayed in my garden and flower bed areas...............

My yard is being used as a sort of 'test plot' for this mulch. I was hesitant at first because I am very protective of all things growing in my yard.

So far, I really like the results. It holds moisture in the ground, greatly limits weeds, and makes the use of pre-emergent and weed-killing chemicals unnecessary.

It has the look and texture of egg cartons. From the street, it looks like my husband got fed up with helping me pull weeds and cemented my flower beds. They do have dye you can mix with this stuff, but it adds quite a bit of expense to the process. You can also add boric acid, as an insecticide, when using as a cover at the landfill, but it would change the PH of the soil in flower beds and limit the plants I could grow, so we didn't add it to our mulch.

I can see a use for this stuff (as an alternative to chemicals) around poles and fences where you didn't want weeds to grow.

2. Lounge   -   #32
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4
    My missus has an immediate use for this type of thing.

I imagine it uses standard newsprint; beyond that, what to do for a home-brewed batch?
    Well, you start with any type of paper. You then run it through a grinder, which is much like a tree limb shredder. On my yard, they mixed 35 lbs of paper and 100 gallons of water, and then they sprayed it on with a hydro mulcher. So...........for a bit of it, You could tear up newspaper, fill a blender about 2/3 full of water and 1/3 paper and blend it to the consistency of pancake batter and pour. If I just needed a bit, I would soften an egg carton up with water and lay it down, though it may be a bit thicker than needed.

3. Lounge   -   #33
    S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    Hmm... So there no stfu manker or Whatever manker does option?

4. Lounge   -   #34
    sparsely's Avatar °¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°
    i recycle my body waste.

I've got some really nice shampoo if your're interested.
    you gotta at least shake the bottle once a day though, or it'll congeal.

this post is guaranteed 100% parrot-free

5. Lounge   -   #35
    uNz[i]'s Avatar Out of order
    Our council gives us 2 wheely bins. A green one for normal rubbish and a bigger yellow topped one for recyclables - glass, paper, cardboard, tin, aluminium and P.E.T. plastic.

The stuff in the yellow wheely bin gets taken to be sorted and recycled by people on work for the dole schemes. So my town even recycles the dole bludgers, in a way.

The stuff in the green wheely bin goes into a landfill, which is tapped for the methane gas it produces and that helps fuel the city's power station, which also uses natural gas.

Edit: Oh yeah, food scraps go on our compost heap in the back yard and water from the washing machine is piped onto the back lawn... it's the only green grass we have.
    Last edited by uNz[i]; 05-17-2005 at 07:29 AM.

6. Lounge   -   #36
    paper and glass cans board thats it

7. Lounge   -   #37
    Everything I can, I recycle.

8. Lounge   -   #38
    maebach's Avatar Team FST Captain
    i try not to get plastic bags at stores to reduce

9. Lounge   -   #39
    Alien5's Avatar μετά BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    i dont recyle because im lazy

10. Lounge   -   #40
    manker's Avatar effendi
    Quote Originally Posted by manker
    I really can't remember why I started this thread, I had a societal issue in mind but the notion has completely deserted me
    Still clueless.

I plan on beating him to death with his kids. I'll use them as a bludgeon on his face. -

--Good for them if they survive.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast