That's the way the market crashes.
    That's the way the whip lashes.
    That's the way the teeth gnashes.

2. Lounge   -   #42
    sparsely's Avatar °¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°
    yay
    and I was sooo nervous too, being the Grammar Nazi that I am to my friends

English Genius
    You scored 100% Beginner, 100% Intermediate, 100% Advanced, and 83% Expert!

# Compared to users who took the test and are and in your age group:

* 100% had lower Beginner scores.
    * 100% had lower Intermediate scores.
    * 100% had lower Advanced scores.
    * 100% had lower Expert scores.
    Last edited by Sparsely; 03-05-2005 at 12:29 AM.

this post is guaranteed 100% parrot-free

3. Lounge   -   #43
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Took the test again and I guess I did a little better, but I still don't like this. I also checked up on her idea of proper English and I didn't like it.

I'm pretty sure that there are no wrong answers to some of the question, or at least no wrong answers among the alternatives she listed. She adheres to two sets of norms, ie GA and RP, and everything that falls outside those two ideals is unacceptable.

That makes it a bit of a bastard to do well at if you speak a dialect, or if you tend to use a lot of colloquailisms, or if you haven't got a traditional english education from the bottom up. Yet, according to linguistic studies there is really no such thing as a proper form of English, every living form that isn't derived from people not being able to spell is an acceptable form.

The differences between "than" vs "then" and "their" vs "they're", and so forth, are easy to quantify and they are probably errors any way you look at it, as they are mixed up homonymes. But when it comes to "towards" or "toward" you can't measure it that way, and if you come from the outside, so to speak, neither form is particularly charged in any way and if anything you'll go with the frequency each form is used in that context by people around you. And this isn't wrong in any way.

The multiple choice questions also do my head in, if the right answer is "a and b" then that kind of screws with people who mainly speak one form, as they'll assume the lesser used form is a colloquailism and thus improper English according to the norms of this test even if they know the form is used somewhere.

So in conclusion, the advanced section of this test pisses me off.

I think it's too early, and that I should go back to bed

(Not saying it isn't an accomplishment getting all of this right, as it probably means you paid a lot of attention in grammar school, so kudos to you.)
    Last edited by Snee; 03-05-2005 at 10:16 AM.

4. Lounge   -   #44
    dwightfry's Avatar Poster
    English Genius
    You scored 100% Beginner, 93% Intermediate, 81% Advanced, and 77% Expert!
    Life should come with backround music
    -Dwight Fry-
    Coconut, the desert's onion
    -Dwight Fry-
    Why stand when you can lean, why lean when you can sit, why sit when you can lounge, why lounge when you can lie
    -Dwight Fry-
    www.BrownSugarStudios.com

5. Lounge   -   #45
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDave
    i didn't notice the "either of these two options" till the 20's
    Same here My results:

Advanced
    You scored 86% Beginner, 86% Intermediate, 81% Advanced, and 66% Expert!
    You have an extremely good understanding of beginner, intermediate, and advanced level commonly confused English words, getting at least 75% of each of these three levels' questions correct. This is an exceptional score. Remember, these are commonly confused English words, which means most people don't use them properly. You got an extremely respectable score.
    Thank you so much for taking my test. I hope you enjoyed it!

Test statistics:
    Compared to users who took the test and are and in your age group:
    • 100% had lower Beginner scores.

• 100% had lower Intermediate scores.

• 100% had lower Advanced scores.

• 100% had lower Expert scores.

With respect to Beginner, users aged 55 to 59 scored highest.
    With respect to Intermediate, users aged 55 to 59 scored highest.
    With respect to Advanced, users aged 55 to 59 scored highest.
    With respect to Expert, users aged 55 to 59 scored highest.

Best in my age group
    Last edited by SingaBoiy; 03-06-2005 at 08:35 AM.
    Need a cheap/easy way of modding your xbox? Check this out.

6. Lounge   -   #46
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by SnnY
    Took the test again and I guess I did a little better, but I still don't like this. I also checked up on her idea of proper English and I didn't like it.

I'm pretty sure that there are no wrong answers to some of the question, or at least no wrong answers among the alternatives she listed. She adheres to two sets of norms, ie GA and RP, and everything that falls outside those two ideals is unacceptable.

That makes it a bit of a bastard to do well at if you speak a dialect, or if you tend to use a lot of colloquailisms, or if you haven't got a traditional english education from the bottom up. Yet, according to linguistic studies there is really no such thing as a proper form of English, every living form that isn't derived from people not being able to spell is an acceptable form.

The differences between "than" vs "then" and "their" vs "they're", and so forth, are easy to quantify and they are probably errors any way you look at it, as they are mixed up homonymes. But when it comes to "towards" or "toward" you can't measure it that way, and if you come from the outside, so to speak, neither form is particularly charged in any way and if anything you'll go with the frequency each form is used in that context by people around you. And this isn't wrong in any way.

The multiple choice questions also do my head in, if the right answer is "a and b" then that kind of screws with people who mainly speak one form, as they'll assume the lesser used form is a colloquailism and thus improper English according to the norms of this test even if they know the form is used somewhere.

So in conclusion, the advanced section of this test pisses me off.

I think it's too early, and that I should go back to bed

(Not saying it isn't an accomplishment getting all of this right, as it probably means you paid a lot of attention in grammar school, so kudos to you.)

Meh, ignore this, I was just angry 'cos I didn't manage to get a perfect score (that last part kept dragging me down), I think, can't really remember.

I don't think her way of measuring it is very good, but to each their own.

And maybe I'm a bit out of practice anyhow. I'm still the king of the english vocab tests at uni tho', but those focused more on how varied your vocabulary was.

7. Lounge   -   #47
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    English Genius
    You scored 86% Beginner, 86% Intermediate, 93% Advanced, and 83% Expert!
    You did so extremely well, even I can't find a word to describe your excellence! You have the uncommon intelligence necessary to understand things that most people don't. You have an extensive vocabulary, and you're not afraid to use it properly! Way to go!
    Looked at her blog, a couple I got wrong I should have known better...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345