Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What should I with this letter?

I start using bitTorent few days ago and get couple of movies and today I got this letter.
    What action should I take?
    Just ignore it and delete bittorent?

-------------------

Dear Subscriber

Cogeco Cable Inc. has received a letter that alleges that activities associated with your Internet service are infringing copyright in certain copyright protected material in which the copyright is owned or exclusively licensed.

Activities that infringe copyright are prohibited under Cogeco's High Speed Internet Service Agreement and Acceptable Use Policy which establish actions Cogeco Cable can take if the situation is not remedied. For more details please refer to section 17 and Schedule A of this Agreement which is available at http://www.cogeco.com/aup

The forwarded email provided at the end of this message indicated the specific details of this alleged activity. If you have any questions or concerns about the statements included in the email below, please contact the complainant directly.

For further information on Canada's copyright regulations visit:
    http://www.cb-cda.gc.ca/new-e.html

For information on disabling upload capabilities on common Peer-To-Peer applications visit:
    http://home.cogeco.net/p2p

Regards

Cogeco Network Security
    http://www.cogeco.com/aup
    1-888-558-2233

> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
    > Hash: SHA1
    >
    > Cogeco Cable Solutions
    > 950 Syscon Drive
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Notice ID:9784344
    > Notice Date:3 Mar 2005 17:02:11 GMT
    >
    > Dear Sir or Madam:
    >
    > BayTSP, Inc. ("BayTSP") swears under penalty of perjury that Paramount Pictures Corporation ("Paramount") has authorized BayTSP to act as its non-exclusive agent for copyright infringement notification. BayTSP's search of the protocol listed below has detected infringements of Paramount's copyright interests on your IP addresses as detailed in the attached report.
    >
    > BayTSP has reasonable good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of in the attached report is not authorized by Paramount, its agents, or the law. The information provided herein is accurate to the best of our knowledge. Therefore, this letter is an official notification to effect removal of the detected infringement listed in the attached report. The Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works, the Universal Copyright Convention, as well as bilateral treati
    es with other countries allow for protection of client's copyrighted work even beyond U.S. borders. The attached documentation specifies the exact location of the infringement.
    >
    > We hereby request that you immediately remove or block access to the infringing material, as specified in the copyright laws, and insure the user refrains from using or sharing with others Paramount's materials in the future (see, 17 U.S.C. §512).
    >
    > Further, we believe that the entire Internet community benefits when these matters are resolved cooperatively. We urge you to take immediate action to stop this infringing activity and inform us of the results of your actions. We appreciate your efforts toward this common goal.
    >
    > Please send us a prompt response indicating the actions you have taken to resolve this matter. Please reference the Notice ID number above in your response.
    >
    > Nothing in this letter shall serve as a waiver of any rights or remedies of Paramount with respect to the alleged infringement, all of which are expressly reserved. Should you need to contact me, I may be reached at the following address:
    >
    > Mark Ishikawa
    > Chief Executive Officer
    > BayTSP, Inc.
    > PO Box 1314
    > Los Gatos, CA 95031
    >
    > v: 408-341-2300
    > f: 408-341-2399
    > [email protected]
    >
    > *pgp public key is available on the key server at ldap://keyserver.pgp.com
    >
    > Note: The information transmitted in this Notice is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, reproduction, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from all computers.
    >
    > This infringement notice contains an XML tag that can be used to automate the processing of this data. If you would like more information on how to use this tag please contact BayTSP.
    >
    >
    >
    > Infringed Work: Mean Girls
    > Infringing FileName: Mean.Girls.DVDRiP.XViD-DvP
    > Infringing FileSize: 741992804
    > Protocol: BitTorrent
    > Infringers IP Address: x.x.x.x.
    > Infringer's User Name:
    > Infringer's DNS Name: x.x.x.x> Initial Infringement Timestamp: 2 Mar 2005 06:19:19 GMT
    > Recent Infringement Timestamp: 2 Mar 2005 07:39:48 GMT
    >
    >
    > - ---Start ACNS XML
    > <?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>
    > <Infringement xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="http://mpto.unistudios.com/xml/Infringement_schema.xsd">
    > <Case>
    > <ID>10667118</ID>
    > <Status>New</Status>
    > </Case>
    > <Complainant>
    > <Entity>BayTSP, Inc. for Paramount Pictures</Entity>
    > <Contact>Sarah Bergman, Compliance Manager</Contact>
    > <Address>P.O. Box 1314, Los Gatos, CA 95031 USA</Address>
    > <Phone>408-341-2300,408-341-2399</Phone>
    > <Email>[email protected]</Email>
    > </Complainant>
    > <Service_Provider>
    > <Entity>Cogeco Cable Solutions</Entity>
    > <Contact></Contact>
    > <Address>950 Syscon Drive</Address>
    > <Email>[email protected]</Email>
    > </Service_Provider>
    > <Source>
    > <TimeStamp>2005-03-02T06:19:19Z</TimeStamp>
    > <IP_Address>x.x.x.x</IP_Address>
    > <DNS_Name>x.x.x.x</DNS_Name>
    > <Type>BitTorrent</Type>
    > <UserName></UserName>
    > <Number_Files>1</Number_Files>
    > <Deja_Vu>No</Deja_Vu>
    > </Source>
    > <Content>
    > <Item>
    > <Title>Mean Girls</Title>
    > <FileName>Mean.Girls.DVDRiP.XViD-DvP</FileName>
    > <FileSize>741992804</FileSize>
    > <URL>24.150.198.74:12408/Mean.Girls.DVDRiP.XViD-DvP</URL>
    > <Type>VIDEO</Type>
    > </Item>
    > </Content>
    > </Infringement>
    > - ---End ACNS XML
    > -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    > Version: 8.0
    >
    > iD8DBQFCKF7b7XU5FcIZZEMRAkEKAJwMshjgx+lqDv72aE+30O4wbxVT5QCff+vc
    > B/gFeu3tYNgBYzCnvyAnjTQ=
    > =4hZL
    > -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
    >
    >

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Retired
    stop downloading for a while and use an IP blocker like Peerguardian.

Where did you get the torrentfiles from?
    Last edited by {I}{K}{E}; 03-04-2005 at 02:48 PM.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Novice
    There are some fake versions of Bittorrent, some even contain spyware with it. I suggest you make absolutely sure you got it from the original sites.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Monkeee's Avatar Post Whore
    lol can you tell us where you got downloaded that torrent...?

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    lol. mean girls!

use protowall and get urself a list of ip's to block. been using protowall and my trusty router for over 3 years, never had any issues

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Monkeee's Avatar Post Whore
    whats wrong with Mean Girls!? I love that movie!!

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Public torrents are just that, public, so what do you expect really...

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeee
    whats wrong with Mean Girls!? I love that movie!!
    it's a good movie. just not worth getting sued over

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    hi,
    I got the torrentfiles from those sticky post above. I think the file I got is bogus, I has a bunch of rar file but I can't unrar. So I guess they put it on purpose and see who downloading it?(just wonder how they even know what file I'm downloading).
    So if I use peerguardan and use a nonstandard port, it'll be more diffcult for them to trace me right?

I read some post saying that the US law can't apply in Canada here. But I will stay low for a while to make sure.

Thank you
    Last edited by loopandjump; 03-05-2005 at 07:26 AM.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Just lay low for a while then use peer guardian. Also i would sugest using private trackers

Quote Originally Posted by abu_has_the_power
    it's a good movie. just not worth getting sued over
    is any movie worth getting sued over?
    Last edited by monkeyman1; 03-05-2005 at 07:38 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast