Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft anti spyware

keyser_soze's Avatar Poster
    This looks and seems to be a decent A/S app but I feel unsure about its intentions. will it be checking to see if theres any illegitamate ms products installed? anybody heard anything about it?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Retired
    nope nothing like that is checked.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Ok its a cool app then I just saw something when I was downloading it about veryfying your windows os before downloading and wondered where it was coming from.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by keyser_soze
    Ok its a cool app then I just saw something when I was downloading it about veryfying your windows os before downloading and wondered where it was coming from.
    ya these new microsoft products (anti spyware, photo story, and probably more future apps) are supposed to be bonuses for genuine windows users (non pirated) that's why it checks if your windows is valid.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Quote Originally Posted by rossco_2004
    ya these new microsoft products (anti spyware, photo story, and probably more future apps) are supposed to be bonuses for genuine windows users (non pirated) that's why it checks if your windows is valid.

Hey Ross its called the carrot and the stick ! But with ways to change your key its funny really . I'm still using Giant but if the microsoft one is half as good I'd be happy .

An other example : In China where pirating is rampant

http://netscape.com.com/2100-3513_22-5598882.html
    Last edited by peat moss; 03-06-2005 at 08:14 AM.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Izagaia's Avatar Her angel of darkness
    Beyond midnight, near you, in darkness...
    Quote Originally Posted by peat moss
    Hey Ross its called the carrot and the stick ! But with ways to change your key its funny really . I'm still using Giant but if the microsoft one is half as good I'd be happy .

An other example : In China where pirating is rampant

http://netscape.com.com/2100-3513_22-5598882.html
    The Microsoftsoft Antispy, Giant's and Counterspy are all essentially the same. Even down to the GUI. MS and the Giant version utilize many of the same .dll files as well as the same graphic for the tray icon.

In all- not too certain why Microsoft insists on calling this one a "beta".

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    @izagaia, I tryed the 15 day demo of Counterspy.Thought hey whats going on.
    For some reason Microsoft left out some of the advanced tools in their "Beta".
    Turns out there is a third party named Sunbelt .

Link: http://www.rednova.com/news/display/?id=117810

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Izagaia's Avatar Her angel of darkness
    Beyond midnight, near you, in darkness...
    I tried that 15 day demonstration version myself. I guess I never really paid attention to those tools. I am still hoping a release group turns out something to unlock the shareware.

I managed to get ahold of the enterprise version. You would think that as such it would not require a key- fat chance.

At any rate... the MS version has a june/july 2005 date for the betas to remain effective. I would certainly hope that they do not intend for them to be in a "beta" stage for that long. But it is supposed to remain a freeware for all of their non-pirated Windows users even after making the transition. Like you stated earlier- I just hope it does even half the job as it's Giant Software and Sunbelt cousins.

Yet, I do not see Microsoft themselves remaining so civil towards Sunbelt for any extended period of time in their agreements. I suspect legal teams even now, researching exactly what rights, intellectual properties and ownerships Microsoft truely obtained on their purchase of Giant Software.
    Last edited by Izagaia; 03-07-2005 at 01:46 AM.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Ya Izagaia, can't believe microsoft got duped that easy as this quote would suggest!

But Microsoft also conceded that a pre-existing agreement between Sunbelt and Giant required Microsoft to provide Sunbelt with updates to Giant's spyware database through July 2007.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Jeez and heres me thinking I'd just found a neat little app.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast